1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2022 Smoky Mtn. Recumbent Rally

Discussion in 'Rides, Routes and Events' started by Geyatautsilvsgi, Jan 6, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Well here we are once more. We're going to start planning the 10th annual SMRR! Unfortunately, there will be no more weekend rides. The park is still sticking to their guns about letting bikes only have (1) car free day and that will be on Wednesday and not the weekend. This is sad, because there are quite a number of folks who work and cannot come during the week and they will not be able to attend.:sad9:

I have a conundrum on my hands with another issue too. When the rally was a "recumbent rally". Attendance was pretty high, over the past few years attendance has lulled because where there once were a few e-assist bikes now it seem everyone has to have one. So those who don't ride with assist cannot participate with the group because they are getting left behind. I had a guy tell me he wasn't coming because "it is not a recumbent rally any more, its now a "motor cycle" rally and all people want to do is see how fast they can go". So I hope folks can understand my dilemma and if anyone has any ideas as to how I can make this work, I am all ears.

So for now, the dates are May 10th & 11th (Tuesday & Wednesday). I don't know how this is going to work out but we'll see.:dull9: I'll have more info about it later so stay tuned.

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :applause: I certainty applaud you for putting this together each year. :hooray:

You can't please all the people all the time and if more E-Recumbent Bikes are showing up to the rally, that's just part of peoples preferences they've chosen. So all one can do, is the best with what they have to work with.

In year's past, like Mtwnrocket noted, the SMRR has fallen on our annual family reunion. However this year it doesn't look like that will be the case, so my chances of attending just went up. :thumbsup:

3. Geyatautsilvsgi

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Well, I will probably have separate rides. One ride for those with E-bikes and a separate ride with those who ride unassisted. I hope you guys can come. I'd be a highlight for me.:yes9:

4. Geyatautsilvsgi

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    The dates are booked and the hotel manager is offering a discounted rate of $119± per night for all cyclists who attend. So for anyone wishing to attend the 2022 Smoky Mtn. Recumbent Rally, I strongly recommend checking your schedule :read: and booking your hotel as soon as you can.

5. Geyatautsilvsgi

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Registration will be available in a week or so. This will probably be the most "low key" rally ever with it not being on the weekend. We'll see.

6. Geyatautsilvsgi

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    :read: Two major announcements. Due to the fact that Willie G rarely ever comes back on this site, he has put our different dates than I had planned on the dates for the 2022 SMRR. So now that we have got the dates set the Dates are May 17-18, 2022 Please make note of it.

The second announcement is that this is the last recumbent rally we will be sponsoring. Costs have continually gone up and while we've tried to absorb some of it ourselves we cannot do it any longer without raising the registration fees, which I suspect will only reduce the number of people attending. If we do it again we will stagger it so that it is not every single year but maybe every other year. We'll see. So in the meantime, this will be the last one until further notice.

REMEMBER MAY 17-18 2022. See you all there!

7. Geyatautsilvsgi

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Well once more another rally has come and gone. Hard to believe. Though it went off without a hitch I wasn't able to be there. I had too much work on my plate to get away.:sad9: I did the registration check in but that was all and helped a bit with the dinner. Thanks to all who did come and for those who helped out. It was really a lot of fun!

8. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Hopefully some attendees will post some of their pics of the event. :thumbsup: