1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pedaling shaft rotates?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by wheflin, Jul 26, 2021.  |  Print Topic

1. wheflin

wheflin

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Derby
    Ride:
    Ultimate Trike
    Hi,

I just bought my first trike. I have an Ultimate Trike Gen II.

When I am in the lowest gear and going uphill, the middle shaft that the pedals attach to will rotate causing me to stall and have to adjust.

No matter how much I tighten the bolts, it still rotates if I cycle hard. I replaced the bolts with ICE quick adjust bolts, and that has helped, but I just can't crank hard on steep hills.

There is a small plastic connector in between the two connecting pipes that is split, is this the issue?

Thanks,
    Weston

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :mmm: Hmm, well it shouldn't be, but I guess it could be. I think the plastic connector is to allow the 'boom' to be moved in/out easily, as necessary whenever a rider with a different X-seam hops on to go for a ride.

All that said, I'd be looking for something that I could put on the boom once I pulled it out of the trike to help increase the friction. I'm thinking like perhaps 1/2" wide strips (say 10" long) that could be applied to the removable boom, the kind of rough ones you'll sometime see in the bottom of a bathtub, or on stair-steps to help increase foot traction. My guess is if the plastic connector is removed, you may have too much play between the removable boom and the trike's frame.

I know some of the earlier RANS bikes had problems with the seats sliding back when folks would mash (vs. spin) the pedals and that was an easy fix as mentioned above. Do be aware, mashing is a lot tougher than spinning on your knee joints. So in order to spin up a hill (in the same time as mashing hard) you'd have to drop a gear and then raise you cadence up some.

wheflin likes this.
  3. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I had that problem with my seat moving back on my V Rexs. I got a car hose clamp big enough to go around the frame. I adjusted my seat where I wanted it, then slid the hose clamp behind seat bracket and tightened the hose clamp. I never had a problem again. In addition, if I wanted to move my seat I just loosened the hose clamp, moved the seat bracket then slid the hose clamp behind the new position and tightened. Worked very well and was a cheap fix to boot! If you can find a couple of hose clamps I think it should solve your problem.

wheflin likes this.
  4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    He's referring to the 'boom' moving when he pedals. Here's a pic from their website about the Ultimate Trike Gen II, showing the narrow white band of plastic between the trike's frame and the removable boom that holds the crankset. Not sure if radiator clamps would help there, or not? You can just see the two bosses welded onto the trike's frame (lower side of boom) that are supposed to allow one to tighten the bolts up and 'squeeze' the frame down onto the removable boom, as well as the piece of plastic he referred to.

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 10.43.08 AM.jpg

5. wheflin

wheflin

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Derby
    Ride:
    Ultimate Trike
    You may be onto something by giving it some teeth. I think plan A is to detach it and see if I can fix the plastic piece. Plan B is add some teeth as you suggested. Plan C, what about drilling a hole straight through and putting a bolt in?

Also, for adding teeth, do you think electrical tape would work? I'm also thinking maybe hot glue and letting it dry before I connect it.

Do I need to remove the shifting cable before trying to pull it out?

Lastly, could you tell me more about technique on mashing the pedals? I'm brand new, and I think you are correct. I'm definitely mashing instead of spinning.

6. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yes, you can drill straight through the boom and set a bolt in place to hold it. Only disadvantage would be if someone else wanted to ride your trike with shorter or longer legs, as then you'd have to pull the bolt to slide the boom in/out.

As for electrical tape, it certainly can't hurt to try it. However, the tread-tape I was referring to is sticky on one side, while the other side has an almost sandpaper surface and folks have used it for years in stopping seats in sliding around. What I don't know is how much clearance you have between the two boom with the plastic sleeve in-place. It could be just one single piece of tread-tape would do, or you might be able to get a few pieces in there. Just to be clear, I am referring to putting tread-tape inline with the boom. So that as the boom is telescoped in/out, the tread-tape would travel with the removable boom. I'm just thinking that 'if' you have enough clearance to get a piece or two on the removable boom, that should remove it's ability to move around once those two bolts are tightened back up.

As for removing the shifting cables, first I'd try extending the boom out as far as you can, applying a piece(s) of tread-tape, then sliding the boom back in and see if you can tighten the two bolts up that hold it in place and see if it stays put on your rides.

As for mashing vs. spinning, it's an art. Most folks naturally mash when they start out, but after some longer rides may find their knees aching. So it's a technique you work on to develop it into a natural habit. (i.e. Think: "Drop a gear and SPIN vs. stay in a higher gear and MASH"). Of course with our hills here in East Tennessee you can think 'spin' all you want, but getting up them does require some mashing as well. It's just I tend to drop a gear early and beginning spinning-up as I climb.

7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Here's a picture of tread-tape that Home Depot carries. You can cut it into narrower strips and use what you need...

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 11.20.29 AM.jpg
    Safety Walk Slip Resistant Step and Reflective Tread 6 in. x 2 ft.​

8. wheflin

wheflin

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Derby
    Ride:
    Ultimate Trike
    Perfect, thank you. Ya, clearance was my though as well. I thought about sandpaper, but I think the tread tape is the best of both worlds. If it doesn't work I should be able to pull it off.

Hopefully giving it some grit is enough to help.

Two final questions. Is it normal for the handle bars to hit my legs when trying to turn sharp? My width is the limiting factor on my turning. Correct me if I am wrong, but it doesn't look like I can adjust that.

Lastly, I have some powerful legs. I'm also a heavy man. When going up hill, if I have to pedal really really hard, I'm worried I'll break something on the trike. Is this a valid concern? What's the weakest link?

Thanks again all! I had my first ride yesterday, and besides some shift issues and the boom twisting it was awesome.

9. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yep, turning a trike in a roadway, usually takes two lanes normally. No issue at all in a parking lot, but do watch for traffic.

And no, the weak link will be your rear tire will spin-out (on steep climbs), especially in gravels.

GREAT to hear you're enjoying it, just like being a kid again huh? :heelclick:

10. wheflin

wheflin

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Derby
    Ride:
    Ultimate Trike
    Ok cool.

Great, I'm afraid I'll break the chain or pedal cranks or something.

No joke. I love not have to worry about balancing!

11. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    hey spinning gravel is fun! Do some donuts and really spit the dirt while you're at it. Nothing like really tearing up some ground with some good old man made speed.:jiggy9:

Uncle Chunk and A.D. like this.
  12. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yeah, the first time I rode a trike up to a stop sign and didn't have to try and balance (ie like on a bike), I LOVED IT TOO! :heelclick:

13. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    If you want to practice what spinning versus mashing is like, take one foot off the pedal and just use the other foot for moving forward. Then reverse. You will see you have to push AND pull to make it work. That is what spinning is. Now if you don't clip into your trike that can be a problem. But I would recommend getting clips so you don't waste any energy keeping your feet on the pedals. And if they slip, you run into them with your trike and that HURTS!!! When I went to clips the guy at the bicycle shop said you will look behind you to see who is pushing you because you get more power to the wheels without any more effort! It was True!

A.D. likes this.
  14. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
  15. wheflin

wheflin

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Derby
    Ride:
    Ultimate Trike
    So update, I went to my local bike shop and they gave me some carbon paste. I put that on and got the quick release levers as tight as I could. I rode for 2 miles last night and no problems! I also fixed some shifting issues so I was able to get to first gear, which I'm sure helped.

I installed Power Grips, but I hate them. They are hard to get into. When I was riding last night, I wasn't using them and I was going downhill and hit a bump which bounced me and my feet came off. My foot barely hit the ground, but it was a pucker factor of 11. Needless to say, I'm going to swing by REI on Sunday after church and hopefully get some clipless shoes. I have some heel straps for the meantime.

I have a rear suspension spring. How should I adjust it for the most comfy and "boat" like feel? Longer spring or more compressed spring? I'm 6"4' and 300lbs if that matters.