1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greetings From Apex,North Carolina

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by augie dog, Feb 26, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. augie dog

augie dog

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    NC
    City:
    Apex
    Ride:
    Trek
    Name:
    Augie
    Hey everyone! I just joined your group because I have many questions regarding bents. I turn 64 in a few weeks and just recently decided to get back into cycling. I started riding in 1983 moving into racing and just generally loving to ride. I averaged close to 400 miles a week but as life got in the way my mileage dropped to 400 miles every other year if I was lucky. Up until this past Friday I had not ridden in almost 5 years so I decided it is time to get back in the saddle. One son is married and the other engaged and in college so it's my time now. Did 25 miles on Friday and 15 miles on Saturday and all I have to say is OUCH!! Major saddle sores and severe pain issues with both wrists. Soooo now looking at recumbent's because I will not let my circumstances keep me from my love of cycling. Anyway thank you for this group and I hope to be somewhat of a contributor soon!
    Be Blessed and Be A Blessing!

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :welcome6: Augie!
    I heard that! My last DF had a new leather Brooks saddle and until I got caught in the rain one day riding home, I too always had saddle sores as well on my first rides of the year. Funny thing was, once the leather saddle got wet it formed to my ischium bones pretty well and was much less uncomfortable. :laugh9:

Still, in looking back, I wish I'd learned about all the comfort recumbents offered much sooner! :wink9:

3. augie dog

augie dog

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    NC
    City:
    Apex
    Ride:
    Trek
    Name:
    Augie
    I LOVE my Brooks but my biggest issue I'm having is my wrists.Saddle sores will heal wrists won't. I'm thinking $2K-$3K recumbent or $10-20K for wrist surgery.......Hmmmmm...RECUMBENT! Lol

4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    WELL said! :applause:

5. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    My wife just had carpal tunnel surgery. I wish it had only been anywhere near $20,000.

6. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    Hi Augie,

You will definitely like going recumbent!!!! All the soreness issues will leave you. WARNING - It will take you 50 miles on your new recumbent to get the balance issue under control and 200 miles before it becomes natural feeling to you. Best thing to do is write down what you want in a recumbent. Long, short, high Bottom Bracket, low bottom bracket, 2 wheel, 3 wheel.

I would suggest your think of it as a two bent process. The first one should be easy to earn and ride and get you back in the game. Buy used at first since you can have 50%. If not, SUN is a good beginner brand which you can find at many bicycle stores. I would suggest either a long wheel base or short wheel base with a lower bottom bracket. The Easy Racer or the now discontinued RANS VRex would be good beginner choices.

But since you said you used to race, once you get the hang of riding in a recumbent position and you build up your recumbent muscles, then I would look for your faster machine. Depending on how extreme you want to go, first up would be a high racer like a Bacchetta Corsa. If you really want fast, look at the low racers. They can fly but can cost a lot of money. Also visibility is an issue with them so bring lots of lights.

The fun thing about recumbents is there seems to be infinite varieties of them. Builders also go in and out of business, (for example I own a Rans Vrex and they no longer make bents.) So check how long they have been in business. You can get that information from our boards.

Last, try to ride as many bents as you can. We have a big recumbent rally (Smoky Mountain Recumbent Rally) here (Townsend Tennessee) every May. You should consider coming even if you don't have a recumbent just to see all the different types people bring. It will give you a much better idea of what is out there and what people actually ride. You can read more information by clicking the SMRR button at the top of the page. And if you ask nice, many will let you try their bents for a spin. There are also recumbent vendors there with demo bent to try.

Have fun and let us know what you finally pick as you ride.

7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    No idea why, but it seems that RANS has been playing musical-chairs with their model names. The old V-Rex, looks to now be what they are calling a Rocket. :idunno: Meanwhile, the old Force-5 is now a Rifle and the old Rocket seems to be missing-in-action from their new lineup. :lost-it:

8. skuuter

skuuter

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Estill Springs
    Ride:
    Jouta Quads, Tandem
    Name:
    David
    ....and there are "Recumbent Trikes" also...:cool9:....register and attend the Smoky Mountain Recumbent Rally...Lots of choices...click on the SMRR button at the top of the page...You'll be glad You did.....:thumbsup: