1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advice needed on mounting/dismounting

Discussion in 'Health and Safety' started by tnbentback, Jul 31, 2007.  |  Print Topic

1. tnbentback

tnbentback Email Defunct

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    Ride:
    WW Cruiser
    Name:
    Mattvon
    Question: I am having trouble mounting/dismounting due to neuropathy. MD is thrilled because muscle tone and strength are improving. What is the best way to use hands arms to assist dismount especially? Is it safest to put the emerg. brake on and use wheels or where else can I grab.

Wasn't a problem at first but the "squats" are causing weakness/pain in quads/knees. I know as I progress this should get better but I was "stuck" the other day and if my husband had not been there I am not sure how long I would have been stuck.

Ha,ha, you guys still wanna ride with me? (It isn't so much the riding now surprisingly, but the dismount sucks.)

I'm still shooting for spring to join in on a ride.

Mattvon (WWCruiser)

2. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    Re: Advice needed

As said before, you won't ask a question or get in many situations where others haven't already been.

My first trike ride was interesting. Had just recovered from a harrowing downhill where I was still not comfortable with two-wheel braking and a hard right at the hill's bottom. After about 20 miles, and on a back road, my friend had already topped the next hill and was out of sight. I was halfway up when the collar that keeps the boom from rotating came loose. I had to stop because the entire crank assembly would rotate left and right and the boom would move in/out. It was useless in any gear. There were ditches on both sides, and the blind hill ahead shielded any oncoming traffic from seeing me until it was too late. Even though it was a small Catrike, its turning radius was so big that I couldn't turn around in the road.

So I was stuck pointed mostly uphill in a "launch" position, couldn't move, and couldn't get out of the trike (couldn't crawl out cuz of wheels; hadn't done enough crunches to have the muscles to exit by the front). Stuck big time!

Fortunately my friend missed me after a few minutes and rescued me. Otherwise I might have been roadkill within minutes.

This has been my only experience on a trike. Not sure it applies to your question, but on my Rocket I always grab a brake lever and hold it while mounting/dismounting. Otherwise the horse can just walk away.

Dave

3. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon

My WW trike was my first bent and I loved it. Getting in and out really isn't that hard. Just follow these steps.

First put on the parking brake. (Either the Velcro strap or squeeze the brake lever and push in the retaining pin depending on your model.) Either way we want to stop the trike from moving.

Next, walk in front of the trike and face forward. Put your feet behind the pedals but before the cross member that holds the front wheels on. Stand with your feet two feet apart or whatever is comfortable to you.

Third, bent down and put your hands on top of the wheels (another reason for wearing biking gloves!) and use them as a guide to put your butt into the seat. (Now you know why I told you to put the parking brake on. Without the brake on, this can be done but it is much tricker!) Reverse the process for getting out of the trike. DON'T use the handlebars because they are not made for supporting your weight.

Now don't judge a trike by what Dave said. :eek9: He did not have a very good first impression of a trike and I wouldn't either if I tried to do what he did the first time. Keep on flat ground and just take you time getting used to it. Just make sure you wear your helmet AND have a flag on the back so cars and dogs can see you! (Dogs will make you pedal faster! :wink9: )

4. tnbentback

tnbentback Email Defunct

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    Ride:
    WW Cruiser
    Name:
    Mattvon

:laugh9: Thanks, the wheel thing seemed most natural. Where is that flat ground?

Mattvon

5. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD

...Ahhhh, just on the other side of that next hill. :wink9:

What Jon said works, as long as you don't have fenders on your trike.

The few times I've ridden Jo's Catrike, I get out of it by putting my hands w-a-y out in front of me to help counter balance the rear of me. :laugh9: Then lean forward as I push up with my legs and stand up. You're right though, in that it's a full-squat you're coming up from and that takes a lot of effort. :o_O9:

6. laidback cyclist

laidback cyclist Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    OK
    City:
    Broken Arrow
    Ride:
    Ti Rush/V-Rex
    Name:
    Mike

Mattvon,

It also helps getting out if you scoot your butt as far forward in the seat as you can. Then when you stand up you don't have to lean so far forward.

Mike

7. jimwells41

jimwells41

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    FL
    Ride:
    Sun Tomahawk
    Name:
    jim
    Sorry this is not on topic, but it is about getting off (a RANS V-Rex SWB)
    I have converted a V-Rex into an "E-Rex" by adding a mid-drive Bafang BBS02 plus battery.
    It starts and drives fine but I have trouble dismounting. I can't balance it while I get off.
    I am old and frail but this seems crazy.
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you
    Jim

8. raycc

raycc

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    MN
    City:
    Saint Paul
    Ride:
    Organic Engines SUV
    Hi Jim,
    If your V-Rex has a flex stem, it might be tending to tip forward due to the extra weight of the e-drive and battery compared to a rigid (stiffy) stem.