1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting & Using CONTACT INFO...

Discussion in 'Board Issues/News' started by A.D., Aug 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :embarrassed9: After re-reading this...
    I just wanted to re-emphasize to everyone here :discussion:, that under your User Control Panel there is an EDIT YOUR DETAILS link/page where you can fill in your CONTACT INFORMATION. About three-fourth's of the way down the page, you can enter your Cell Phone Number, as well as any ICE information.(In Case of Emergency, Contact:___)

If you're ever separated from the group you're riding with and are in an area with cellular service, you can call them up to see where everyone else is at.:eek: (i.e. Did I take a wrong turn?, Is everyone alright?, etc.)

While many cellphones nowadays can browse the web, it's best to just look over other riders PROFILE PAGES ahead of time and enter their cellphone numbers into your own cellphone. That way, you at least have a way of contacting them. :yes9:

On my own cellphone, I just used an RR- prefix for folks I've ridden with at one time or another (i.e. RR-Jon; RR-Dave; etc.) and it makes it simple & easy to find someone.
    I understand everyone's concern about privacy and perhaps not wanting to Publicly Post their cellphone number, but I can say that I entered my cellphone number on my PROFILE PAGE back in 2006 (when we started the website) and have never gotten any sales/solicitation phone calls. This is just ONE reason I work so hard to keep, Email Harvesters, Cellphone Scraper Bots, etc-era OFF the board. And by the way, ONLY Registered Users can SEE another Registered User's Profile Page & CONTACT INFORMATION.
    If you're going to ride with someone in a few days and their PROFILE PAGE doesn't list a cellphone number :sad9:, just drop them a PM and ask if you can have it to enter into your own cellphone.

Worse case if you're out on a ride and do not have any CONTACT INFO for your fellow riders :hissyfit9:, contact another user (including me :wink9:) who has access to the board. Any Registered User can look up their CONTACT INFO for you if they've listed it. :spinny:

I mention this, because we have had riders develop health :injured: issues on rides in the past that required attention and resulted in the riding group being split-up. :eek:hmy: Trust me, it's much easier to deal with when any splinter-groups are informed about such occurrences. :phone:

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Family Radio Service (FRS) Communications...

I dug this out of the R.O.C.K.E.T. Riders archives, but I think it's worth re-posting here:
    [MONO]On Wed, 01 Mar 2006, "A.D. Wade" said:
    > I just thought I'd throw out a few ideas to make the Regular Saturday
    > Ride a bit better, since we're all learning as we go...
    >
    > 3)If you have an FRS (Family Radio Service), bring it along. My earlier
    > Kenwood units only have 14 channels, whereas the newer ones now support
    > 21 or 22 channels I think. That being the case, I'd like us (as ROCKET
    > Riders) to PICK A CHANNEL to be on ALL the time, for any rides we go on.
    > Doesn't matter which one, but Channels 1-14 would allow more folks to
    > hear any conversations, and/or directions being requested or given.
    >
    According to Jon, THE Channel decided upon was Channel 2 this past Saturday.
    So if/when you've got an FRS with ya, be sure and tune it to Channel 2 to hear what's
    being said, or to ask for direcrtions or assistance from others in the group.

....Cheers!

<\
    ~~\
    ~~~\O _
    ~~~~\\--/ \
    ~~~.-\\___/\_,
    ~~( A ) . ( D )
    ---`-'-----`-'--
    RANS Force 5
    South-East,TN

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006, "Jon Dittrich" said:
    That's right, Channel 2 is now the "official" RR radio frequency. So anytime
    you come to ride and bring a radio, set it on channel 2.

--Jon
    [/MONO]