1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Auto-Linking MOD Installed & Configured...

Discussion in 'Board Issues/News' started by A.D., Jun 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I have installed a modification to vBulletin that should now automatically embed LINKs to certain key words within posts.

For instance, USS is an acronym for Under Seat Steering. Users new to the Recumbent World may not know that :confused9:, so I'm hoping this modification can make it a bit easier for them to pick up the lingo and learn such things. :wink9:

Only the first occurrence of a key-word within a post will be automatically linked, so as not to clutter things up too bad.(See: USS nor Recumbent are auto-linked here!)

I've tried to add LINKs for keywords, like BROL, Burley, CLWB, DF, etc. If you click on a LINK, it should open a new window (or tab) in your browser and take you to a website with more information about that term.

I have also tried to enter each & every Recumbent Manufacturer I could think of, but I may have missed some. :duh: If so, and you notice the first occurrence of a name of a Recumbent Manufacturer in a post that is not auto-linked, please send me a personal message about it and I'll add it to the list.

A really unique feature of this MOD is that it is retro-active, meaning posts that are years old will also be auto-linked whenever they are displayed. :heelclick: The modification does not actually change the code within a given post, but instead adds the links live whenever a thread is displayed containing keywords.

Below is a current listing of words we're now Auto-Linking...
    Code:
    ActionBent
    Action Bent
    AeroRider
    Aiolos
    Akkurad
    Alleweder
    Alligt
    Amazon
    American Cruiser
    AmericanCruiser
    Angletech
    Anthro
    Azub

Bacchetta
    Backsafer
    Barcroft
    Berkut
    Bigcat
    Bike Friday
    Bike-e
    Bike e
    BikeE
    Birk
    BB
    Bottom Bracket
    Brake
    BROL
    Burley

Cab-Bike
    CabBike
    Cambie
    Carbent
    Cassette
    Catrike
    Chainring
    Challenge
    clwb
    CobraBikes
    Cogset
    Craigslist
    Crankset
    Cruzbike
    Cycle Genius

Delta
    Derailleur
    DF
    Dutch Speed Bicycles

Easy Bike
    EasyBike
    Easy Racers
    Easy Racer
    eBay
    EDGE

FlevoBike
    FLUX
    Flying Furniture
    Fork
    Freecom Concepts
    Freedom Bike

Go-One
    Go-Ze!
    Greenspeed

Haluzak
    handcycle
    Hase
    Headset
    Head Tube
    Hellbent
    HP Velotechnik
    HPVelotechnik

ICE

Just Two Bikes
    JTB

KarByk
    KMX
    KV4

Labent
    Ladue
    LBS
    Leitra
    Lightfoot
    Lightning Cycle Dynamics
    Linear
    Logo Trikes
    Logo Trike
    Longbikes
    lwb

Maderna
    mash
    mashing
    mcs
    M5

Nazca

Optima
    Oracle
    Organic Engines
    oss

Para-Cycle
    Paracycle
    people movers
    POC
    Power On Cycling
    Presta

Quadracycle

Radius
    Rainbow
    RAAM
    RANS
    RAW
    recumbent
    Redmount
    Reynolds
    Rhoades
    ROAM
    Rowingbike
    RRI
    Ryan

S&B
    ScooterBike
    Schrader
    Sidewinder
    Sinner
    spin
    spinning
    ST
    Steintrikes
    Sunrise Medical
    SUN
    swb

Tadpole
    Tandem
    TerraCycle
    Thorax
    Toucan
    Toxy
    Tricycle
    Trident
    Trike
    Trailmate
    TreviBike
    Trimuter
    Tripendo
    Trisled
    Turner

uss

Varna
    Velocity
    Velocraft
    Velokraft
    Velogenesis
    Velomobiel
    velomobiles
    velomobile
    Vision
    Volae

Wazabike
    Wheel
    WindCheetah
    WizWheels
    WizWheelz

Zenit
    Zephyr
    Zohrer
    Zox

2can
    ----- End of the Good News -----

As with most all modifications, they are not infallible. :sad9: There are some instances, where a key-word will cause an auto-link to be added to a post that is just blatantly wrong. :hissyfit9:

For instance:
    "He rode off the edge of the sidewalk on his trike, while looking at the rainbow."
    In this case, the words 'edge' and 'Rainbow' would be incorrectly auto-linked. :no9: It's not the fault of the MOD, just the fact that both words are common in the English language and also the names of Recumbent Manufacturers. :confused:

So yes, there will be 'some' auto-linking done in error, however if you didn't know 'Edge' or 'Rainbow' were Recumbent Manufacturers then you might learn a thing or two as well due to such errors when they occur. :wink9:

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I welcome any feedback, positive or negative, about this new feature. While it will auto-link in error at times, personally I think it's worth the trade off of having some errors for the benefit of making it so easy for folks to investigate Recumbent Manufacturers and/or special terms unique to the recumbent world with a single click.

3. Buddy Bishop

Buddy Bishop Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Greeneville
    Ride:
    Elect. Goldrush
    Name:
    Buddy

Well of course I like it, but my vote doesn't count since I think you are
    brilliant.

4. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I like it!!!

5. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Well I just finished doing this same thing for XenForo now, but I tried to verify all the older and more obscure links. Those websites that are now defunct, I did my best to find in the WayBackMachine (i.e. http://web.archive.org/web/) and linked to their last known working webpage. I figured if someone runs across a used BenTech, JTB, Turner, Velokraft, etc they may want to know all they can about them.

Anyway, if/when anyone comes across a LINK that no longer functions I'd appreciate knowing about it so I can fix it. :wink9: