1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bike Continuously Variable Transmission! CVT

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by DozerCSX, Apr 8, 2024.  |  Print Topic

1. DozerCSX

DozerCSX

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Silicon Valley
    Ride:
    Rans Vivo, Rocket, +
    Name:
    Dozer
    Greetings!
    I have a tandem recumbent which came with an Enviolo NuVinci 360 continuously variable transmission on the rear wheel. No gears, only internal large ball bearings and belts which provide an unlimited gear range, without gears! It uses a simple twist grip shifter which requires two cables to actuate the shifting. Super quiet, super smooth, wide range, but heavy. Really great for a heavy tandem recumbent. Does require a "dummy" rear derailleur for use with a front derailleur (to take up the chain slack from the front rings)
    Has anyone else used these on their bikes?
    Enviolo Nuvinci 360 cvt.jpeg

2. DonkeyBoy

DonkeyBoy

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IN
    City:
    Fort Wayne
    Ride:
    Homebuilt
    Yes! It is now all I use. I first put an N360 on my Haluzak Hybrid Race years ago. I sold that bike because physical difficulties at the time, and wish I had it back! I now have an N380 on my wooden-steel-hybrid homebuilt trike. I use an N360 on my upright comfort bike, converted my wife's Townie to an N330, and built a wheel for my brother's townie with an N330. What you will likely find is that published (and scarce) efficiency numbers make the hub look bad. That really depends...the extremes of the range can lose efficiency on the order of (if memory serves) 12%. The middle of the range varies from about 6-3%. So there are many naysayers. Whatever. What matters most is how it feels to ride it, and what sort of terrain and rider you are. As a practical hub, there is very little in the way of maintenance (zero) and it makes my knees work well because I can always be in the best ratio for them. The hub is sort of heavy, but if you live in mostly flat terrain, it doesn't matter much. It also is overbuilt being ebike rated. Probably one of the best parts is being able to downshift through most of the range after a stop. Try doing that with a derailleur!

DozerCSX likes this.