1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Orbit crystal fork orientation

Discussion in 'Recumbent Discussions' started by Cspray, Mar 21, 2024.  |  Print Topic

1. Cspray

Cspray

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    England (UK)
    City:
    Chester
    Ride:
    Orbit crystal
    Hi
    I’ve just picked up my first recumbent bike, and nicely refurbished orbit crystal.

one oddity I have noticed is that the front brakes are positioned behind the crown. This looks a little odd and there seems to be a negative fork rake.

Looking at pictures of the crystal online, there seem to be some with front brake ahead of the crown and some behind. to my mind, turning the fork so that the V brakes are ahead of the crown would mean That the brake cable noodle will interfere with the chain.

Any advice most welcome

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Hmm, I see what you mean...:mmm:

dscf2578.jpg

IMG_2852.jpeg

I have to assume one of the above bikes is not stock, so I wonder if the owner of the first bike (yellow) has obtained another brake caliper and installed it as seen?

3. Cspray

Cspray

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    England (UK)
    City:
    Chester
    Ride:
    Orbit crystal
    It’s a mystery!

I received the bike identical to the purple example. Turned forks so caliper and fork rakes forward. Pretty twitchy!

May turn back and evaluate

4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Here is the Speed Ross / Orbit Crystal recumbent bicycle review of the yellow bike, but he doesn’t mention the brakes in his review.

Personally, I’d probably see if I could find a brake caliper with a left-side cable feed that mounted ahead of the fork and try it.

5. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
  6. Jeffers

Jeffers

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    long beach
    Ride:
    Performer Low Racer
    Looks like it would give you better low speed handling with the forks putting the axle further back.
    You're smart to experiment to find what works best for you.

7. Cspray

Cspray

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    England (UK)
    City:
    Chester
    Ride:
    Orbit crystal
    Mystery solved.

the bike came with the forks backwards and brake behind the crown. I was informed that this was the way it should be.

not believing this, I turned the forks without trying it.

just tried turning them backwards again and the machine is unrideable.

Have managed to fettle the vee brake noddle so it misses the chain

one happy ride to the pub

A.D. likes this.
  8. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Haslett
    Ride:
    M5CHR
    Name:
    John
    It looks like a Bacchetta-type under/over idler would be a good match on that bike, with the power side of the chain toward the frame. Then, the V-Brake cable could be routed behind the fork and around to the left side of the bike. That routing works well on my V-Rex.

A.D. likes this.
  9. Cspray

Cspray

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    England (UK)
    City:
    Chester
    Ride:
    Orbit crystal
    Thanks! There has been some chain grabbing the derailleur in some gears. Will try routing it that way

A.D. likes this.