1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Review: Rans Stratus 700

Discussion in 'Recumbent Discussions' started by DozerCSX, Mar 9, 2024.  |  Print Topic

1. DozerCSX

DozerCSX

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Silicon Valley
    Ride:
    Rans Vivo, Rocket, +
    Name:
    Dozer
    Greetings! I finally have a bit of time to introduce you to my RANS Stratus 700. The Stratus was originally designed with a 700c rear wheel, then moved to a 26 inch, where it spent most of its sales life. The 26/20 has a reputation as a great, tough, do it all bike, but Randy Schlitter never stopped dreaming of an updated 700c rear wheel Stratus.
    Randy finally got his wish with this bike, a beautiful blue/silver 700c/20 updated Stratus. I'm the original owner of this one and it's very special.

- The Stratus is LONG. One thing about this particular bike is that it's a XL frame with the 700c rear (the original batch only came in this configuration. As such, this puppy is Long Long Long. I'm 6'1" and the seat is adjusted to perhaps the 40% mark. it's got a bit of semi-trailer DNA in it. The advantage is that this guy is nicknamed "the Bullet Train" and it goes like the dickens in a straight line. Just give yourself plenty of room for U-turns or it'll quickly become a W-turn! Also, it sticks out on the rack beyond both sides of my VW Routan minivan. More good news is that the bike is light and easily lifted on to a rack by a single person.

- The Stratus has tiller. No way to sugarcoat it - the redesigned super adjustable handlebars are LONG, and their low pivot point just makes the tiller effect a part of the "fun". For small steering adjustments you won't notice, but any legit turns require both hands pushed out beyond your body opposite the direction of the turn. You'll eventually get used to it, and even good at it, but it's always always there. The good news is, those adjustable handlebars make getting the perfect hand/ shoulder/ knee position easily available for any rider who can get on this bike.

The Stratus is FAST. No doubt, it's my fastest bike, perhaps one of the fastest recumbents ever created. Rans makes a very stiff rear triangle that is super efficient at turning your pedal energy into speed. This is particularly unusual in that the crank is low, which makes an amazing combination of super comfortable ergonomics, and super speed. Another reason I call this "the Bullet Train." One of my speed upgrades was to swap the Deore/ SUN 700c factory wheel with a racing Specialized Axis Classic aero wheel. It has an unusual spoke lacing, with radial spokes on the left side, and 3-cross spokes on the right (cassette/power) side. I run a Conti UltraSport 700c-32 tire, the largest this frame will accept. It'll take 120psi but I usually keep it under 100psi. Recumbents simply require more air volume in the tire to offset the fact that you can't stand in the saddle like a regular road bike, so your butt is always seat-loaded. Fortunately, everyone is now discovering what recumbent riders always knew - larger tires yield better rolling resistance. Also, I must say that I truly love recumbent speed with NO FAIRING. It just feels right as the RAW wind strikes you, but the recumbent design simply minimizes the "sail effect" for us. Design advantage without tricks.
    Another interesting thing is this bike is bullet fast without great components. I have the original SRAM X-3 rear deraileur (all plastic!) with a Microshift front d and a Truvativ Elita crank. With the exception of the rear wheel, humble pieces, but "greater than the sum of its parts."

This bike is comfortable, easy on the body, good looking, and will do a Century in its sleep. A simple bike, like the Rocket, no bells and whistles, just great design, great ergonomics and a real looker.

Rans Stratus 700c.jpg

Rans Stratus 700c rear.jpg

Rans Stratus 700c front.jpg

Rans Stratus 700c bars.jpg

2. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    Beautiful bent. Looks brand new!!! Thanks for you write up! :)

DozerCSX likes this.
  3. DozerCSX

DozerCSX

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Silicon Valley
    Ride:
    Rans Vivo, Rocket, +
    Name:
    Dozer
    Thanks! I don't ride it as often as the others - "only when I have a NEED for SPEED!"

4. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    Great article! It gives me all kinds of thoughts and memories!
    My first recumbent was a Rans Nimbus that I ordered as a frame and built up with 700/20 wheels. It had the original vinyl bucket seat, chopper bars and sidepull brakes. I kind of miss that bike, but it was a real flexible flyer!

Currently I have a Rans Stratus 26/20 that we purchased new in 2006, and a Bachetta Bella Large frame 26/20 that I acquired more recently. The interesting thing about the Bella is that even though I'm a little 5'4" guy, I can still adjust it to fit me fine!

Back to the Stratus, I agree the bike goes fast really well. I only struggle with it going really slow, like up a steep hill, when the tiller effect and low speed combine to make really twitchy handling. I've made as many adjustments as I can to minimize the handlebar setback from the steerer center, but it can still be a little aggravating.

DozerCSX likes this.
  5. DozerCSX

DozerCSX

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Silicon Valley
    Ride:
    Rans Vivo, Rocket, +
    Name:
    Dozer
    Wow, a Rans Nimbus! I had to look it up - it's like the Pliestocene version of the Stratus! Very cool...

6. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark