1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Recumbent bikes popular choice for distance riders, those seeking speed

Discussion in 'News' started by NewsBot, Feb 27, 2024.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    ghows-OH-32bc90ad-f651-582f-e053-0100007fce04-4de6e2bc.jpe
    Recumbent bikes popular choice for distance riders, those seeking speed Massillon Independent

Massillon, OH - Recumbent bikes might not be ideal for riders of the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath, but flat-surface riders looking for speed should check them out.

A recumbent bicycle is a bike that places the rider in a laid-back, reclining position. Many recumbent riders choose the design for efficiency reasons, as the rider's weight is distributed comfortably over a larger area and supported by the back and buttocks.

John Cowgill, a bike mechanic at Ernie's Bike Shop, 135 Lake Ave. NW, said recumbent rides are easier on the neck and spine for people who have health issues. The bikes are also popular among riders with handicaps or disabilities, and more extreme riders interested in "speed and long-distance trips" on flat surfaces.

"They can be recreational bikes or those designed for handicapped riders," Cowgill said. "You can go longer distances on flat surfaces, because they're lower to the ground and more aerodynamic."

Cowgill noted that people riding a standard mountain bike or road bikes, such as a 10-speed, average about 50 mph as a high speed on flat terrain. Recumbent bikes can add 20 to 30 mph to that amount, he said...

Continue reading...

2. DozerCSX

DozerCSX

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Silicon Valley
    Ride:
    Rans Vivo, Rocket, +
    Name:
    Dozer
    Greetings - I just wrote a review on my fastest bike, the RANS Stratus 700. A terrific combination of comfort and speed (it's really fast)... Look for it under the "Recumbents" section.

3. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    This article is so full of disinformation it's unbelievable. A road bike averages up to 50mph?? A recumbent is yet another 20-30 more??? And the price comparisons were oversimplified and ridiculous.
    It also makes recumbents, especially trikes, appear to be only good for those with health or mobility issues. I have neither and enjoy riding both because they are fun and they make sense.
    And finally, this article was written in 2016. How it is just now making it into the news feed I have no idea!

4. DozerCSX

DozerCSX

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Silicon Valley
    Ride:
    Rans Vivo, Rocket, +
    Name:
    Dozer
    You are correct! That's funny because I didn't actually read the above article, I just posted my comment... Still, check out my Stratus write-up on the other thread.

5. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    I looked before, but the hyperlink "Rans" takes me to https://phoenixbikewrx.com/ . Is your Rans article posted on their home page?

6. DozerCSX

DozerCSX

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Silicon Valley
    Ride:
    Rans Vivo, Rocket, +
    Name:
    Dozer
    Sorry, the hyperlink to Rans, above, was automatically generated, and not intended by me (AI?)

It's on this site, under "Recumbent Discussions" - it's titled "Review: Rans Status 700" let me know what you think. It even has pretty pictures!

A.D. likes this.
  7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yes sadly, RANS is no more...for now anyways. (Ref:https://www.recumbent.news/2021/08/31/rans-bikes-renamed-to-phoenix-bike-wrx/) :embarrassed9:

8. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yes, just something to help those new to Recumbents learn the lingo and companies involved. Or in this case, a company that used to be involved.