1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shimano Steps eP8 question

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by BigG, Aug 24, 2023.  |  Print Topic

1. BigG

BigG

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Australia
    City:
    Brisbane
    Ride:
    Azub TiFlyX
    Hello all
    i ride a recumbent trike with an ep8 motor.
    Each time I start riding and the clutch/motor engages, likewise when I move over the 25km cut out i get a notchy feel through the cranks like they’re slipping a couple of degrees through their range of movement. And whenever the motor engages and disengages I get a squeaking noise. There is a little lateral movement of The crank arms however I don’t believe this is an issue
    I’ve also ridden a Shimano STEPS 6001 and a 6010 which have a similar issue, but much much less prominent, and without the squeaking noise.
    just wondering a) if anyone else experiences the same thing, if this is a Shimano characteristic And b) if there is a solution.
    the motor has been replaced twice under warranty for the issue.
    thanks in advance.
    G

A.D. likes this.
  2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :mmm: While you described the noise as a squeak, I did find this online...

So he may be describing something entirely different. :idunno: However, just the fact yours has been replaced under warranty would lead me to believe Shimano thinks its's doing something it should not be doing. :question: