1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Evolution of a Cyclist - Cycling Utah

Discussion in 'News' started by NewsBot, Jul 6, 2023.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    Sandy-and-Jeff-Trikes-08_22_2021-20210822_122243.jpg
    The Evolution of a Cyclist - Cycling West Cycling Utah

For those of you looking for advice on diet, product specs, gear theories, or techie stuff in general — move on. Those topics are well covered by all the other articles. This column is more a slice of life type of experience, my experiences on riding a recumbent trike in general, and around Salt Lake in particular. The 45-degree angle is from riding on the right side of roads, many of which are seriously sloped, whether curbed or not.

On a traditional bike, you can lean to the left to compensate for the slope. Although the seat (no saddle) on a trike is more comfortable, you can feel yourself slowly sliding off to the right. If you think a three-wheeler can’t tip over…well, it can. I’ve done it.

The visual effect is intensified because on a trike, the field of view, especially looking above, is much broader and more 3-D since you aren’t riding bent over. When we drive our vehicle along the bike routes we use, the roads look much narrower, even cramped. The upside is that on a trike, cars give you lots of room, many actually going all the way over to the far lane...

Continue reading...