1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help with fixing up an old TT Edge (c.2004??)

Discussion in 'Recumbent Discussions' started by Malapert, Jul 6, 2023.  |  Print Topic

1. Malapert

Malapert

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    MO
    City:
    Saint Louis
    Ride:
    WW/TT Edge
    Name:
    Malapert
    I was gifted an old Edge about 10 years ago. Rode it a while but then suffered an injury that started years of issues. I've recently gotten back on the road with this and I'm *really* loving it. I want to fix it up enough to see if this new passion has staying power before I invest in a new one.

So, here are my issues -
    1. The welding is failing from where the rear seat stays attach to the chair. I'm considering drilling though the back cross tube and screwing in a bolt to either side of that plate?? Any other ideas? I've contacted TT, looking for a standard frame to purchase but I'm not hopeful since all they're showing on their site is the wide frame. I'd like the standard 16". (Changed my profile pic to show you the welding fail - it's happening on both sides)

2. Speaking of the rear stays, they are a tube within a tube style...which would be fine if there were a stopping pin or cross piece to stop them from moving but every ride, I lean further and further back. I'm not sure if I'm missing something to hold those in place? I'm considering drilling a hole through the smaller tube and sticking a cotter pin in it to hold it.

3. More minor...the standard TT headrest is AWFUL. Anyone else have this problem? Every single bump bangs my teeth together. Yuck. But headrest-less isn't a great option either. Has anyone just added a layer of foam to make that work better? If so, I'd love more details on that. :)

Thanks for any thoughts!!

2. Malapert

Malapert

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    MO
    City:
    Saint Louis
    Ride:
    WW/TT Edge
    Name:
    Malapert
    Come to find out, my Edge is very rare. Lori from WizWheels responded to me and said that they only made about 50 of these trikes back in the day so, I've got a piece of history. ;) Anyway, they don't have a current seat frame that would fit so I will have to find a welder to fix it. They do have new rear stay clamps which they think will fit so I'm going to try those. I'll post back with updates.