1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Counterpoint Presto: What's the trick?

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by BentOkie, May 18, 2023.  |  Print Topic

1. BentOkie

BentOkie

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    OK
    City:
    Tulsa
    Ride:
    None yet, help?
    I purchased a counterpoint presto based on recommendations in this forum and others. I've had it serviced and made road ready.

But I can't get started! If I start on an incline I can get rolling, but it is so tippy that I can't even get a second foot on the pedals. I've ridden some unstable uprights before, but this is like a Slackwire act. As soon as I'm slightly off center of gravity, the bent turns out tips radically. I'm using the Fred Flinstone start or an incline, but lift that second foot and I'm into the curb or on the pavement.

Is this a crazy unstable bike or am I just not getting it?

2. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    Hmm. Not familiar with that bent. But when I teach someone to ride a bent, I start them on top of a very mild slopping hill. I have them sit up, with their feet dangling down and push off and just steer. At the end of the hill, I tell them to hit the brakes and stop. Then they walk the bent back up to the top of the hill. We do this as often as it takes to get them comfortable.

Step 2 is to do the same thing, but this time lean full back into the seat with legs dangling and do this until comfortable.

Step 3 is to start at the top of a hill, lean back AND put feet on pedals. No clipping in, no peddling. Repeat until they are comfortable.

Step 4 is same as Step 3 but I have them not clip in but they do peddle.

Step 5 is starting on a flat surface and peddle.

Step 6 is the clip in and go!!!

Don't know if this will help you, but in 30 minutes I have been able to get anyone going a their bent.

Good luck!!!

A.D. likes this.
  3. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    That's some good advice Jon, when William taught me...it was more or less like being thrown into the deep end of a pool. Sink or swim. In my case it was pedal or fall. I fell and crashed a bit the first few times but I soon got it. Now I pedal smoothly...:cool9:

4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    c02cd40d6ba5b2bc3b6d7b4d7b07b5ec.jpg

Hmmm, your bike is fairly similar to a RANS Rocket, which most find (fairly) easy to adapt to. :mmm:

My only other thought (beyond what Jon recommended) is pay attention to the position of your head during all this. Your head is the size and weight of a watermelon and carries a lot of weight in the balancing department. I know on my Hi-Racers, they're all very sensitive to head position...just a little tilt to the right or left and here I go right or left! :surprised:

P.S.
    With pedals that high, I wouldn't even bother clipping in for the first 25-50 miles. I just use standard flat pedals to start out with.