1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best chain cleaner surprise

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by Lightning Pilot, May 13, 2023.  |  Print Topic

1. Lightning Pilot

Lightning Pilot

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Lake Bluff
    Ride:
    Lightning P-38
    Name:
    Ross
    You may not believe this—I was a bit incredulous that it worked.

If, as I have for years, you use Boeshield T-9 as a chain lubricant, you probably know it is nearly impossible to remove completely. I was using Finish Line Citrus Degreaser™, and it worked fairly well. But after 90 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner, it was still there, with most of the grunge gone. Since I was switching to a different chain lube, I wanted it all gone.

On a whim, and because it takes grease and oil off my hands, I tried water and "Dr. Bronner's 18 in one Hemp and Peppermint Oil Soap." Thirty minutes later everything was stripped clean as it was out of the box. I tried it again on my wife's trike chain and cassette. Absolutely clean in 30 minutes. No toxic fumes or chemicals, no worries about what to do with the cleaning solution—down the drain.

Fortunately, there is a hazardous waste recycling center nearby, which is the next stop for the "citrus" degreaser.

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    US-LiquidSoap-4oz-Peppermint-600_300x.jpg
    :jiggy9:WOW, who would have ever thought it could do that? Ross did! :thumbsup: :cool9:

Lightning Pilot likes this.
  3. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I love this stuff. I was introduced to Dr. Bonner 40 years ago by my cousins. They had a place in the Woods with a pond. After we worked all day around the place we would bath in the pond and use Dr. Bonner. It kept you clean and fresh after a hard days work and it didn't hurt the pond and its wildlife. This was also my preferred soap when I used to camp and backpack. Never thought of it as a chain cleaner. Good to know.

If you have never heard of him, click here for his story.

A.D. and Lightning Pilot like this.
  4. Lightning Pilot

Lightning Pilot

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Lake Bluff
    Ride:
    Lightning P-38
    Name:
    Ross
    Dr. Bronner's is an old friend, at least as far as the soap, and very entertaining reading material :laugh9: on the bottles and jugs, from our wilderness camping days. We buy it by the gallon, and it is our hand soap of choice. "All One! Okay!" :laugh9:

A.D. likes this.
  5. slitespd

slitespd

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    AZ
    City:
    Wickenburg
    Ride:
    Bacchetta Giro A26
    If you want to drive your riding friends nuts, after cleaning your chain with Dr. Bronners, lube your chain with patchouli oil.

A.D. likes this.
  6. Lightning Pilot

Lightning Pilot

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Lake Bluff
    Ride:
    Lightning P-38
    Name: