1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

refurbished homemade delta

Discussion in 'Homebuilt and Modifications' started by wpgrecumbent, Apr 18, 2023.  |  Print Topic

1. wpgrecumbent

wpgrecumbent

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    WINNIPEG
    Ride:
    homebuilt-atomic zom
    Name:
    Hugh MCCORMICK
    The trike is based on Atomic Zombie Aurora plans with some deviations of course. Over the winter it got a 500 watt geared front hub motor. New handlebars and a new seat. New marathon 20 by 1.35 tires as well. A plywood rear storage replacing the coro box and 2 48V batteries linked with a dual battery manager from area 51 bikes in the U.S.

It got 2 shakedown rides then last night Apr 17 was taken for a 30 km ride. Average speed was 24kph, the outside temp was plus 6 Celcius. The battery system was great, at the start voltage was 50, at the end 48 volts. Half the ride was against the wind and power levels 3 and 4 were used with me pedaling always. I have been riding this trike for a couple years now, it had a few thousand km's on it so got a refresh over winter.

P1040158.jpg

A.D. likes this.
  2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Nice, especially the beginning vs ending voltage. What was the main reason for going from coroplast to plywood for the storage box?

3. wpgrecumbent

wpgrecumbent

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    WINNIPEG
    Ride:
    homebuilt-atomic zom
    Name:
    Hugh MCCORMICK
    I had used some smaller bolts on the coroplast and despite using loctite and doublenutting they often broke and/or came loose. Plus the rear fenders were mounted through the coro which required fender washers. With the constant need to tighten bolts the trike was quite noisy going down our rough streets.

4. wpgrecumbent

wpgrecumbent

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    WINNIPEG
    Ride:
    homebuilt-atomic zom
    Name:
    Hugh MCCORMICK
    Just a quick update on the red delta. After several short and a couple longer rides all the controls are sorted out as to their placement. The front hub motor seems to be working just fine. Gearing is a bit low so a 53 tooth will be installed up front in a couple weeks replacing the old 50 tooth I found in my parts bin. The last ride was roughly 60 km's around the city and everything worked great, it,s shaping up to be a great year for recumbent riding.

A.D. likes this.
  5. wpgrecumbent

wpgrecumbent

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    WINNIPEG
    Ride:
    homebuilt-atomic zom
    Name:
    Hugh MCCORMICK
    Another short update, we are in the midst of a heatwave here with a lot of humidity making it even feel warmer so not too much daytime riding. I did install the 53 tooth chainring and felt bigger might be better so a 56 tooth will be here in a week. Also purchased were two cable operated hydraulic disc calipers I found and want to try. Changing them over is a bit more complicated though so that won't happen for awhile. No riding for a few days though, thanks to a dna site I found I have 5 brothers and a sister I never knew about and 3 of them are flying in today the 3rd, so I will be busy getting to know them.

A.D. likes this.
  6. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :thumbsup: Technology can be amazing at connecting people, especially family! :cool9:

7. wpgrecumbent

wpgrecumbent

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    WINNIPEG
    Ride:
    homebuilt-atomic zom
    Name:
    Hugh MCCORMICK
    The itch to build has returned. This time I'm going to continue the development of an enclosed delta. So far I've made 4 different enclosed versions, 2 Tadpole versions and when delta became my preferred style 2 enclosed versions in a delta flavor. To that end I've been acquiring some parts. A rivnut gun, some thin wall galvanized 1/2" sq tube which will be used to give the body it's shape. This time 1/4" plwood or luan will be used and the curved section over the feet will be bonded to the sides with fibreglass. A small mtn bike has been purchased and it has 20" by 3" disc brake equipped wheels. These will go on the rear.

The road here are rough and my fatbike with its 4' tires offers the best ride, thats why I have hopes the 20 by 3 will smooth out the ride. I'm not looking for a Velomobile but have found with the previous builds that almost any effort at streamlining really helps pedal effort, especially riding into the wind. So speed isn't an issue, 20 mph is the rough target. I have 3 different homemade frames so one will be selected for the base of the project. I,m sure many here have noticed the weather being a bit more extreme lately. So there are 2 main design elements going into this build. First is SUN and rain protection, that one is easy. Next is heat, that was an issue for the previous builds. What was learned was airflow is very important, we are after all air cooled.

A.D. likes this.
  8. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    :)

9. wpgrecumbent

wpgrecumbent

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    WINNIPEG
    Ride:
    homebuilt-atomic zom
    Name:
    Hugh MCCORMICK
    Well it has been a busy summer which is now drawing to a close. Here in Winnipeg snow is forecast for Oct 25th so the fatbike will be the ride of choice for the next few months. But I have been working on my latest delta project. The front part of the 2 wheel full suspension recumbent was selected as the basis for the build. A childs bike with 20 x 2.8" tires and disc brakes was purchased and promptly cut up. It's rear triangle was retained to allow use of the stock drivetrain on the left side and a 20" Bmx fork was modified into the right rear triangle and mounts the front 20 x 2.8" wheel is the right rear wheel. The front wheel is a 48 spoke BMX wheel with a 20 x 2' tire and uses the suspension fork from the kids bike.

Also being reused is a jackshaft from a previous project to route the pedal power from the front right side of the frame over to the left side.