1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What’s your computer?

Discussion in 'Recumbent Discussions' started by TNplates, Apr 13, 2023.  |  Print Topic

1. TNplates

TNplates

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Hermitage
    Ride:
    ICE SprintX FS
    I’m ready to replace my Sigma wireless computer mainly because of battery life and it appears that sometimes it doesn’t go into sleep mode, which is sucking the life out of the battery.
    Anyway I’m curious of what you have on your recumbent trike and how it’s mounted.
    I’m not interested in battery assisted trikes and their computers since I’m all about leg power and simplicity, not much interest in GPS.
    Also curious if you have experienced a difference with battery life between wired and wireless?

2. Roaster 2

Roaster 2

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    NY
    City:
    poughkeepsie
    Ride:
    Catreck expordition
    Cateye

Flatfoot and TNplates like this.
  3. Tri-Seeker

Tri-Seeker

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    Czech Republic
    City:
    Prague
    Ride:
    Trike, mongo-ish
    I have VDO on wire. Had to lenghten it, as regular version can't reach rear end of my trike and still be sitting on front end to be seen, but works well. Digits are pretty big, especially current speed and design is simple as rock.
    But check features you expect to get, as the most basic version doesn't have "average speed". Yes, it has "time of the ride" and "ridden distance" but you have to count it yourself...:truestory:

TNplates likes this.
  4. TNplates

TNplates

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Hermitage
    Ride:
    ICE SprintX FS
    I might try using my phone?
    I use Strava and it’s got the info I want. Probably some more apps out there that’s similar.
    Other issue is the mounting, so many computers are designed for bike handlebars.

5. Tri-Seeker

Tri-Seeker

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    Czech Republic
    City:
    Prague
    Ride:
    Trike, mongo-ish
    Well, that depends on what you want to track...
    I use mine also as a counter of trike kilometers, you know, as you have on a car, to keep in check periodic maintanance and such. For that, wire computer paermanently mounted, seems to be better thatn GPS fed phone, that I might forgot take with me, or battery or whatever. Not sure if you even can count total distance regardless of individual trips.
    Mounting is kinda problem, as everything is designed for standard bikes and thus don't fit on recumbents in general. You have to improvised anyway and question is, if improvisation with tiny lighweight computer is easier and less risky, than with relatively heavier phone costing multiple of computer price.
    I have mine CC on BB stonk and have no problem with that, so if you can read it there, I suggest. It is mostly in field of view so very comfy to check.
    DSC_0090 - kopie.JPG
    If you can put your hands on 3D printer that definitely helps in terms of improvisation.

A.D. and Flatfoot like this.
  6. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I have a very old (13 years) Garmin GPS. No touch screen but it has a very clear display and the battery still goes forever!

A.D. likes this.
  7. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Fieldbrook
    Ride:
    '96 Haluzak Horizon
    Name:
    MAC
    2022-12-25 003 (1600x1201) (900x676).jpg 2022-12-25 010 (1600x1201) (1200x901) (900x676).jpg
    This is what I've got. Simple, basic, wireless, good size screen, and inexpensive. Christmas present, so can't speak to battery life. Like it so far! :wink9:

Cheers, MAC

TNplates likes this.
  8. TNplates

TNplates

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Hermitage
    Ride:
    ICE SprintX FS
    Like you ingenuity on mounting bracket.

9. Tri-Seeker

Tri-Seeker

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    Czech Republic
    City:
    Prague
    Ride:
    Trike, mongo-ish
    That mount will survive more than rest od the trike :)

10. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    I prefer Cateye computers as they just seem easy to set up and last for years! We also track on our phones via STRAVA but have found that mine, mounted on a phone mount and my wife Jo's inside a side bag can give very different results!! FYI.

TNplates likes this.
  11. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Haslett
    Ride:
    M5CHR
    Name:
    John
    This isn't specifically a trike question, so I'll go ahead and answer, too. I use a Cycops M1, by XOSS. I think I got it right off Amazon.com. The MSRP is $49.00 but I've seen them for less. You're not interested in GPS, but that's what this is. For a price that's competitive with wireless bike computers, you can ignore that or if you have a cell phone you can bluetooth to it and automatically upload to a Strava account which you can set up for free. So yeah, for no extra cost you can set up a free Strava account and record all of your rides. Whether or not you use the GPS function, you'll have to clear out the memory every so often because it'll fill up with your rides.

Mounting is via a standard Garmin-type handlebar mount. I recharge mine via USB cable every 2-3 rides. I think it's supposed to go 8+ hours between charges and is easy to recharge via usb cable. I've had mine for several years now, with no issues. The only feature I'd like it to have that it doesn't, is heart rate.

Here's a review: https://thesweetcyclists.com/cycplus-m1-gps-cycling-computer/

TNplates likes this.
  12. TNplates

TNplates

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Hermitage
    Ride:
    ICE SprintX FS
    Well crap, I bought an Urban wireless Cateye and wanted to mount it were my old one was, center post. After coming up with a slick mount the dang thing is not in range of the sensor which is mounted on the front wheel. Diagram shows 27” minimum and vertical like it would be mounted on a bike.

I ended up mounting it above the sensor on the left mirror.

I first bought a wired computer thinking that would have better battery life but the cord was too short and I didn’t want to splice in a piece to extend it. Maybe that would have been a better option?

Started making a mount for my phone to mount on the center post.

13. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I have the same problem with all my bents. That is why I went with a Garmin GPS. Don't have to fool with wires or keeping the sensor in the range of the unit. I feel your pain!!! :hissyfit9:

TNplates likes this.
  14. TNplates

TNplates

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Hermitage
    Ride:
    ICE SprintX FS
    I may try the GPS route but for I’ve setup both a Cateye and phone mount.
    Phone’s essentially a GPS but I’m burning data and battery life.
    I do have an old GPS around here somewhere.

IMG_3745.jpeg
    IMG_3746.jpeg

15. TNplates

TNplates

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Hermitage
    Ride:
    ICE SprintX FS