1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help with deciding which trike to buy

Discussion in 'Recumbent Discussions' started by jakemedic, Feb 15, 2023.  |  Print Topic

1. jakemedic

jakemedic

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IA
    City:
    Mahaska County
    Ride:
    Cat Trike Villager
    Hello! My name is Jake and this is my first post. I need assistance choosing a trike. I am a retired paramedic and my career choice wasn’t very nice to my body. Unfortunately, my balance, bad knees and back won’t allow me to ride a traditional bicycle. I desperately need to get moving and am planning on purchasing either a new or new to me recumbent trike. I have located two used trikes. The price and models are extremely attractive.

The first is a TerraTrike GTS. It says that it is a 2021 model with minimal use. Priced at 1500.00 it is an attractive choice for a number of reasons. One is the seat height is listed at 15”, which would be good for entry and exit. Secondly, it is equipped fairly well? Lastly, it is priced at less than half the price of new. The one negative is the weight limit. Rated at 280, and I tip the scales at 285.

The second is an Ice Adventure HD. It too, says it has had limited use although the year isn’t listed. Priced at 2000.00, it too is an attractive prospect. Major pro is weight limit at 330, and a wider cockpit which would be nice. This trike is a rigid frame, 20” tires, deluxe seat and foldable. The downside is the seat height is listed at 11”. I’m confident once I was in the seat it would be fine, but getting in and out could be a Challenge.

Both these trikes are around 5 hours one way. I do have a local (60 miles) trike shop that I was planning on purchasing from. I have an appointment with them to test drive trikes. My problem there is I would feel horrible to take their time and go out and purchase a used trike from someone else.

My goals for buying a recumbent trike is to strengthen my legs, knees and abdominal area. From what my doctor said, embark on something that won’t just gather dust or clean clothes. I think that recumbent trike would be very good fit for me.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I apologize for the Hemingway novel on my first post, but I really want to get peddling down the road and onto the bike path.

— Jake

2. TNplates

TNplates

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Hermitage
    Ride:
    ICE SprintX FS
    I’d go with the ICE. There are Acessories to help you get in and out of the seat if you find it’s needed.
    Don’t concern yourself with what the sellers will think, its what you want and your money.
    Good luck.

3. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    I second the ICE. I think you can also get seat risers for these, Hostel Shoppe and Utah Trikes might be good places to ask about that. Since your knees are rough, it might be good to start riding on a greenway or flat area where you can ride a nice cadence that doesn’t put a ton of climbing and pushing pressure on your knees. Your legs will get stronger, your weight will likely go down, and the fun will kick in!
    I’m biased, I own a fully rigid ICE Adventure HD myself.

TNplates likes this.
  4. jakemedic

jakemedic

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IA
    City:
    Mahaska County
    Ride:
    Cat Trike Villager
    Gentlemen, I am quite appreciative of your responses. You took the time to help a new guy. We are in the midst of a winter storm with snow and wind, so I wouldn’t be able to go get it for a couple of days anyhow. MobileMail, a couple of questions for you….. How is the ride in the rigid HD? Is the gearing decent for getting around? I know about cadence from my days on 2 wheels, is the same True with the recumbent? Meaning high rotation where you are spinning versus pushing?

As I stated in the original post, doc thought this would be the perfect way to shed pounds, strengthen legs, knees and abdomen. Plus it would be good for the attitude and of course be fun. Thanks again!

5. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    Since I'm not really an off-road kind of guy, I find the ride with 20" big apple tires to be just dandy.
    Gearing wise, I occasionally wish for a little lower gearing but only when I'm trying to play in the hills. If you find it a bit high, it wouldn't be terribly expensive or difficult to switch the chainrings to 24/38/48, or find a sale on an MTB crank.

Last year I did a 150-mile ride over 3 days on this trike on flat to rolling terrain, with stock gearing.

jakemedic likes this.
  6. Roaster 2

Roaster 2

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    NY
    City:
    poughkeepsie
    Ride:
    Catreck expordition
    jakemedic likes this.
  7. jakemedic

jakemedic

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IA
    City:
    Mahaska County
    Ride:
    Cat Trike Villager
    Roaster, I appreciate your comment. If I go new, the Catrike Expedition is on my radar. I’m going once we dig out from our snowstorm to the trike dealer and see them in person. I believe touching and riding will make a huge difference in choice.

8. Roaster 2

Roaster 2

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    NY
    City:
    poughkeepsie
    Ride:
    Catreck expordition
    Yes, Expedition Have one three years and no issues. :trainer:

9. jakemedic

jakemedic

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IA
    City:
    Mahaska County
    Ride:
    Cat Trike Villager
    Well my friend, I snoozed and lost out on the ICE trike. Actually, to my defense, we got a 10inch snowfall that kept me at home and plowing my drive yesterday and where he was it it didn’t snow.

So I am off to the local (60 miles away) bike shop to see what I can see this afternoon. The Expedition is one that I want to test ride along with the Greenspeed Magnum and the TerraTrike All Terrain. If I am buying new, I want to make one purchase vs two. I don’t want to buy a trike and “grow” out of it requiring me to sell the first one and buy a new one because my ability increases over time.

From what I have gathered, I may want an indirect steering trike vs a direct steering model. I honestly don’t know.

I will let you know what I find out and choose. Thanks for your reply, I learn lots from people who take the time to respond.

10. TNplates

TNplates

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Hermitage
    Ride:
    ICE SprintX FS
    If you visit Utah Trikes on YouTube, assuming you haven’t already, you’ll find a lot of interesting informative videos.

11. jakemedic

jakemedic

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IA
    City:
    Mahaska County
    Ride:
    Cat Trike Villager
    Thank you! I haven’t seen that before. I will have a look before going to the trike shop. Once again, thank you!

12. jakemedic

jakemedic

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IA
    City:
    Mahaska County
    Ride:
    Cat Trike Villager
    So I went to the trike shop today. It was an eye opening experience for me. The three trikes I THOUGHT would be a good fit for me weren’t. Of all the crazy stuff, the seats were just uncomfortable for me. The frames seemed to hit my butt in an area that caused pain almost immediately. Reminded me of a Toyota truck that I owned for too long. Sit in the seat and get leg pain. The one trike that didn’t cause pain was the GreenSpeed Magnum XL. Really didn’t need the weight or width of it, but the seat allowed me to sit between the frame, not on the frame. I think I may need to rethink my budget for a trike. That one was nearly 3900 out the door. I think I may go back and look at the next level up as far as price and see what they do for me. The XL road well, we went about a mile. I just didn’t get the wow factor I was hoping for. Not sure what it was though. The sales guy was SO patient with me, I was very appreciative of that. Anyhow thanks and if anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

13. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I vote for indirect steering. I had a Terra Trike with it and loved it. It isn't as twitchy as direct steering.

As for seat. Most seats let you LEAN BACK which will take a lot of weight off your butt. Try it.

You are smart trying them first. Not sense spending thousands of dollars and find out your ride causes you pain.

Good luck on your adventure and enjoy the journey. I know when you find the "right" bent, you will enjoy the ride...

jakemedic likes this.
  14. jakemedic

jakemedic

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IA
    City:
    Mahaska County
    Ride:
    Cat Trike Villager
    Going to call my trike dealer tomorrow and ask about the Ice Adventure HD. Specifically, the came out with an “Inspired” model. Has a 26” rear wheel, and most everything I need to get on the road. Priced at 3799.00, it looks like a nice trike. Maybe he will be getting one in stock to sit and ride. Similar in price to the GreenSpeed, yet obviously a different manufacturer. I messed up and should have road a second trike the first trip in. That decision is on me, not my sales guy. I loved the concept of a trike, and I will be sure to recline the seat on the next visit. You are correct, it’s a lot of money and I want to get the right trike the first time. Appreciate you taking the time to respond. The journey is daunting, but in the end, totally worth it.

TNplates likes this.
  15. Roaster 2

Roaster 2

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    NY
    City:
    poughkeepsie
    Ride:
    Catreck expordition
    A good source for trike reviews is Trike Asylum web site. :goodpoint: