1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First railbike tour trail in Michigan set to open in May

Discussion in 'Rides, Routes and Events' started by NewsBot, Jan 17, 2023.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    EQDATMRFKVFEXHNJZAGNVHHDOU.jpg
    First railbike tour trail in Michigan set to open in May WDIV ClickOnDetroit

Macie Hefron couldn’t in her wildest dreams imagine how good it would feel when she first rode on a railbike tour during a trip to Maryland a couple of years ago.

“I was outside enjoying the wind blowing through my hair and smelling the natural smells of nature,” Hefron said. “It was honestly a dream to be riding down a track on something like these. It truly is a feeling that everyone needs to experience at least one time in their life.”

Now, Hefron and her company, wheels on Rails, is going to attempt to create that experience for Michiganders and visitors from out of the state.

On May 25, the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend, Hefron and her company is planning on opening a 6-mile railbike tour in Traverse City.

It will be the first known railbike tour in the state.

“My favorite part is when you get down into the Woods where we go under a bridge, see spring fed clear creeks running alongside the line, and we are surrounded by the trees that make our Northern Michigan the beautiful place it is,” Hefron said.

Hefron, a 22-year-old who graduated from Grand Ledge High School in 2019, came up with the idea during the COVID-19 pandemic when gyms were closed.

So she went on bike rides outside, and then a light bulb went on.

“I was biking a lot because the gyms were closed, and I saw rail bikes as I was scrolling through my Facebook,” Hefron said. “(I) immediately knew Michigan was missing this activity.”

Railbikes are pedal-power carts that are ridden on railroad tracks and have the same style as recumbent bikes in the way people sit on them and pedal.

Continue reading...