1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3 X 9 Heaven

Discussion in 'Recumbent Discussions' started by Flatfoot, Dec 7, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Fieldbrook
    Ride:
    '96 Haluzak Horizon
    Name:
    MAC
    Dad bought me a French racer for my 10th birthday and I thought I was in heaven! It was a 10 speed with an "alpine gear". Here I am 58 years later, I can finally quit changing cassettes and chain rings. I'm going to stop at 9spd for the old school Haluzak which is kind of mid school now we might say. I have a 17" low and 113" high for a 650% range, all I will ever need.The real gift came when I swapped the 11/34 cassette for a 12/36. The 12/36 is considerably closer ratio, way helpful for the old legs. I mostly run on the 34T middle ring which is a steel Campagnolo MTB jewel. 52t & 24t round out the chainset. I sacrificed a bit of top end speed for a stump puller low gear which is just icing on the cake. I am in 3X9 heaven. Cheers, MAC

2022-12-07 062 (1200x901).jpg

A.D. likes this.
  2. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    That’s a gorgeous bike, and I’m right there with you on the gear selection!

Uncle Chunk and Flatfoot like this.
  3. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Haslett
    Ride:
    M5CHR
    Name:
    John
    I'm surprised you found derailleurs that can handle that setup. Not only take-up capacity of 51 teeth, but also a front derailleur with shift ramps to handle that wide-range triple. How's shifting when going from middle to small rings?

4. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Fieldbrook
    Ride:
    '96 Haluzak Horizon
    Name:
    MAC
    Front shifting is amazing! Deore XT M735 does the job, these vintage derailleurs are the bomb. You can find them on eBay new and used. I really like KMC chains for good shifting. This one shifts like there is no tomorrow, no pins or ramps on the rings. Rear derailleur, you got me there! The chain hangs slack on the smallest 4 cogs when on the 24T chainring. Sheldon says this is OK, and since I don't use those combos, I'll agree. Rear mech is a Shimano Alivio 'shadow' type w/no clutch, but with a barrel adjuster. Best shifting I've had so far.

Cheers, MAC

A.D. likes this.
  5. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Flatfoot likes this.
  6. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    Agree, we really like our 3x9 set up's, like yours it's set up for "climbing" with a 22/32/44 triple and 11x34 cassette. I pull a home-built cargo trailer for food and supplies, (no car) so when the trailer is loaded I really NEED that 22/34 set up!! We are True "smell the roses" type riders so the 44T chain wheel for top end is all we need. No, we don't do group rides, we'd be too slow and it seems all the folks we know that ride have E-assist and they get PO'd waiting for us so we gave it up!

A.D. and Flatfoot like this.
  7. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Fieldbrook
    Ride:
    '96 Haluzak Horizon
    Name:
    MAC
    Pretty cool chain tensioners there! So this is the chain slack when on the little/little combo, LOL. Fortunately I never go there, but if I did nothing rubs and it actually works. When on the fifth cog we get chain tension and everything is as it should be. The 24T chainring only gives three gears lower than the 34T x 36T combo, so no worries.

Have bent will travel
    Cheers, MAC 2022-12-12 021 (1600x1201).jpg

A.D. likes this.
  8. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    And NOW I see why you don't use those combos. Wow, that is a whole-LOT of slack indeed. :wink9:

Flatfoot likes this.
  9. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Fieldbrook
    Ride:
    '96 Haluzak Horizon
    Name:
    MAC
    2023-03-03 021 (1600x1201).jpg Recumbent heaven, not being the real Heaven, we can change it, LOL. All that chain slack was just not setting right with me, even though it was not a serious problem. Went back to a 24/34/46 chainset and 11/36 cassette, problem solved. However my gear range has dropped from 650% to 627% and the top gear from 113" to 109". On the plus side I reclined the seat as far as is practical and installed shorter 155mm cranks. The ride, handling, comfort and spin ease have all been dramatically improved. At my advanced age spinning out at 36mph is plenty good enough.

Cheers, MAC

A.D. likes this.