1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Headwind aerodynamics

Discussion in 'Recumbent Discussions' started by Flatfoot, Nov 27, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Fieldbrook
    Ride:
    '96 Haluzak Horizon
    Name:
    MAC
    We constantly hear that the recumbent aerodynamic advantage is at 20mph and above. I ride in a fairly windy area, so if I am riding at 10mph into a 10mph headwind does that not put me into that 20mph threshold? I seriously doubt I will ever get up to 20mph on the flat, but I notice an aero advantage at most speeds, most of the time. Even riding at 8mph into a 12mph+ headwind I can just gear down a bit and enjoy the ride. Not so on my wedgie bikes, which I have given up except for trail rides. Just hoping prospective recumbent riders will not discount the aero advantage for us average Joe's. Cheers, MAC 2022-03-26 025 (1600x1201).jpg

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I'm usually riding around 12mph most of the time, as we live in a bowl of a valley and usually have very little wind here.(i.e. 3-5mph on a windy day). However, today we had 17mph winds, with gusts up to around 30...in the valley here! Surprisingly enough, on my typical route up & down the valley today I still averaged out to 11.9mph with all the wind. I know there were tough headwinds at times and I don't really feel the tailwinds as much so I was somewhat surprised at my average. :thumbsup:

Flatfoot likes this.
  3. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I ride on Santa Rosa island off the Florida coast a lot. It is VERY WINDY most of the time. 8 - 15 MPH. I grunt one way but when I turn around, I fly like Superman!

A.D. and Flatfoot like this.
  4. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    LOL, not sure there's anywhere near that "aero advantage" on a trike? Seems like unless you ride a VTX, Aero, 700, Spyder, etc. and are almost laying down, your body is a bike SAIL! ;) One thing I have noticed is that "recumbent trikes", slow down the second, you start to go up an incline, even minor one's!! My recumbent and DF bicycles didn't seem to have this effect. I've now owed several different models of trikes (none of the so-called racing style trikes), and they all seem to do this. Since my wife Jo and I are the very definition of SLOW, aero don't mean much! ;)

Flatfoot and Geyatautsilvsgi like this.
  5. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    I think I have you beat on being slow, I haven't ridden my recumbent in a couple of years...of course I get to blame it on Covid...or truthfully just because my husband hasn't tuned it up.:hissyfit9:

Flatfoot likes this.
  6. bjjoondo

bjjoondo

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Colorado Springs
    Ride:
    ICE Sprint 2 SE
    Name:
    BJ
    Major Bummer!! Hope you get to ride very soon! LOL we get cabin fever if we can't get in a ride after a couple of days! We don't own a car so our trikes are both recreational and transportation/cargo by using a home built cargo trailer!

Lightning Pilot, Flatfoot and A.D. like this.
  7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :thumbsup::cool9:

Flatfoot likes this.
  8. Lightning Pilot

Lightning Pilot

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Lake Bluff
    Ride:
    Lightning P-38
    Name:
    Ross
    Even after years of riding a recumbent, (and most of my life riding uprights) I'm still surprised at how well my P-38 cuts the wind, especially into a headwind. I doubt there is any one "sweet spot" in speed for recumbents. There are too many factors that can differ, even in trying to evaluate a single type of recumbent. Now if someone has a wind tunnel, maybe we can get a grant to definitively answer the question.:twitcy:

Flatfoot likes this.
  9. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Fieldbrook
    Ride:
    '96 Haluzak Horizon
    Name:
    MAC
    Back when I rode wedgies exclusively I always based my rides on the prevailing wind direction. Living here on the Pacific coast it was usually a North wind, occasionally South, so I took advantage of the tailwind for the trip home. Now on the 'bent it matters not, I can ride wherever I want! :wink9:

Cheers, MAC

A.D. and Lightning Pilot like this.
  10. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Haslett
    Ride:
    M5CHR
    Name:
    John
    10 mph ground speed into a 10 mph wind counts - it's a 20 mph apparent wind. However, not all recumbents are created equal. Your bike appears to have a pretty upright seat, so the aero advantage will likely be minimal. If you want that advantage, you gotta recline.
    hxSTlgD.jpg

Geyatautsilvsgi and Flatfoot like this.
  11. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Fieldbrook
    Ride:
    '96 Haluzak Horizon
    Name:
    MAC

Point well taken!
    After rethinking my position I had to wonder why this 'average Joe' is not bothered by headwinds like I used to be riding uprights. I believe frontal area is the important factor. In my early upright years I used the drop racing bars as many older riders still do. After years of trail riding with flat bars I found a more upright position to be comfortable and way easier on the old body. Having many injuries I became an advocate and experimenter with all types of upright handlebars for my road bikes. Then at 67 years young I was blessed with my one and only recumbent, ye ha!
    So, although the Haluzak is only moderately reclined, the Bottom Bracket is level with the seat. This layout reduces frontal area 30-50% over my upright position on the upright bike, depending on how much I lean forward into the wind. Is that 30-50% reduction similar to the difference between an upright rider using drop bars and a lowracer recumbent? I must admit, the faster, speedier looking recumbents are so tempting but the old Haluzak is just so comfortable. :rolleyes9:

Cheers, MAC

A.D. and Lightning Pilot like this.
  12. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Haslett
    Ride:
    M5CHR
    Name:
    John
    Aerodynamically, the 'Zak is about the same as my V-Rex, except for the aero hit you take for the USS. I think there's a small aero advantage, but as you write, the comfort is the big factor.

Lightning Pilot and Flatfoot like this.
  13. Lightning Pilot

Lightning Pilot

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Lake Bluff
    Ride:
    Lightning P-38
    Name:
    Ross
    For us old guys, it ain't just the mileage, it's the years. I no longer have a skeletal system. I have a mass of more or less articulated arthritis.:confused:

Flatfoot likes this.
  14. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Fieldbrook
    Ride:
    '96 Haluzak Horizon
    Name:
    MAC
    This is a great capture! I notice his elbows are out there a bit. Is this normal for that type of bike? My USS has my hands out a bit, but elbows are tucked in. OSS v.s. USS, might be a wash for drag, in some cases anyway. JMHO :spinny:

Cheers, Mac
    Lowbent.jpg

15. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    I simply like the photo...:jiggy9: really a neat pic.

Uncle Chunk, A.D. and Flatfoot like this.