1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2 wheel LWB

Discussion in 'Homebuilt and Modifications' started by wpgrecumbent, Sep 23, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. wpgrecumbent

wpgrecumbent

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    WINNIPEG
    Ride:
    homebuilt-atomic zom
    Name:
    Hugh MCCORMICK
    I've been wanting to build and ride a LWB recumbent for a while now. Someone gave me full suspension mountain bike with 26" wheels and I already had the plans for the Atomic Zombie voyageur lwb. So the rear triangle has been grafted onto a 1 1/4" square tube and been modified for a disc brake. New 26" schalwbe tough tom 2 1/4" tires were picked up. The BBS02 motor and battery from one of my deltas will be added. I'm just in the process of building up the foam on the seat after which the placement of the Bottom Bracket and motor can be determined.

A.D. likes this.
  2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Sounds interesting. If you have a chance, post some pics along the way. Everybody likes seeing a plan come together!

3. wpgrecumbent

wpgrecumbent

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    WINNIPEG
    Ride:
    homebuilt-atomic zom
    Name:
    Hugh MCCORMICK
    Here's 3 pictures. First one shows the donor mountain bike rear triangle cleaned up with a disc mount attached. 2nd shows the triangle with a bracket over the original bottom brkt hole. This is to allow a pulley for chain management. Iwant the pulley to be as close as possible to the center point of the suspension to minimize any pogo effect while pedaling. 3rd includes the rear wheel and seat. Lot's to be done yet.
    P1040055.jpg
    P1040056.jpg
    P1040058.jpg

A.D. likes this.
  4. wpgrecumbent

wpgrecumbent

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    WINNIPEG
    Ride:
    homebuilt-atomic zom
    Name:
    Hugh MCCORMICK
    Progress has been slow but steady. It's now on it's wheels, the motor and pedals mounted. Also the rear derailleur with it's cable is done. Chainline pretty much done, might need a bit of tweaking yet. Steering rod also made and set but for the moment it's removed. Still need brakes hooked up plus a battery mount fabricated then the seat will be finished with a upper shoulder/neck rest then get upholstered. Then disassembly for paint. We are about 2 to 3 days away from snow so lot's of time till spring. Was going to post a picture but the site I use is down, will try again later

5. wpgrecumbent

wpgrecumbent

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    WINNIPEG
    Ride:
    homebuilt-atomic zom
    Name:
    Hugh MCCORMICK
    Here's a picture of the bike in my fairly busy garage.
    P1040101.jpg

6. wpgrecumbent

wpgrecumbent

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    WINNIPEG
    Ride:
    homebuilt-atomic zom
    Name:
    Hugh MCCORMICK
    I took some time off to help a friend by installing a mid drive motor on his mountain bike. That's done so I've started working on the LWB again. Bolted down the seat and installed a foam backrest. At the moment the backrest is able to move in an arc forward and back. This in order to find a good position before welding it in place. Then all it will need is both brake cables run, a rear rack built and batteries mounted. Paint and come spring learn how to ride it.
    P1040149.jpg
    I included my winter ride to show the difference in length. The LWB is 7' axle to axle, the fatbike is 4'

7. wpgrecumbent

wpgrecumbent

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    WINNIPEG
    Ride:
    homebuilt-atomic zom
    Name:
    Hugh MCCORMICK
    Update, an interesting but failed project. It was unrideable and the main frame has been cut up and recycled into another delta trike. More to follow on that soon.