1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bigger, Brighter Bike Flag - On Sale Now..

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by A.D., Jul 24, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    95414325-53CB-4EDB-986E-9553DECE1618.jpeg
    Just a heads-up, the Recumbent Trike Store has their SoundWinds Sail Flag - Tropical flags on sale now, for 30% OFF.

It's roughly three times the size of the little orange triangle flags, that come on the bike flags at discount stores. (ie Walmart, etc) PLUS, they don't even mention this, but the white squares are some sort of 3M Scotchlite material that is highly reflective after dusk. :thumbsup:

2. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    I used to sell these at the bike shop, they always sold fast. They do have reflective stuff on them. They're really pretty and com in a wide variety of shapes and colors.

3. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    I was just through your area a few weeks ago on vacation. (I didn't know it was your area until just now!) Are you associated with the Trailside Bikes bike shop? We stopped by that shop as a one-shot opportunity on the way out of Knoxville but it was closed

4. jbammi

jbammi

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    MA
    City:
    Westford
    Ride:
    ICE Adventure
    Name:
    Bammi
    On a related topic: I am looking for a source for 6mm fiberglass poles (without the flags). Not finding any in the usual places, stopped by Loews (Hardware/DIY store in the US for those outside the US), could not find anything appropriate. I bought 3 flags from KatiesCreations store on Etsy, and their pole pocket is quite narrow and also the seat mount on my ICE Adventure will not take poles much thicker than 6mm. Any pointers to sources of 6MM poles, or some suitable substitute much appreciated. I was thinking of fishing poles, but they are too thin at the tip and too broad at the handle end - i would chop off the actial handle and remove the line loops - have hacksaw and will use it!

5. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
  6. jbammi

jbammi

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    MA
    City:
    Westford
    Ride:
    ICE Adventure
    Name:
    Bammi
    Thanks Rocketmantn, I in fact bought one of those to try, they are really flimsy, the plastic connector pieces are really cheap, did not hold the connecting pole sections well at all, don't think they will hold up.

7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    48788981.jpg

:thumbdown: You are right. I went by LOWES and picked up a small turnbuckle with (approx) 1/4" x 20 tpi, then put a micrometer on it to determine it's diameter. I removed both the eyeboles from the turnbuckle, then drilled one side out with a bit that made it a tight fit when pressed/screwed onto the bottom supporting pole. Then I drilled the other end (of the turnbuckle) out a little larger, so the top-flag pole would drop into the turnbuckle fairly easy. That turnbuckle nut is MUCH stronger than the supplied piece of plastic that is supposed to act as a pole joiner.

8. jbammi

jbammi

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    MA
    City:
    Westford
    Ride:
    ICE Adventure
    Name:
    Bammi