1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A better bike flag?…well

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by A.D., Jul 19, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I'm sure everyone has noticed how one-piece bike flags have disappeared from the stores nowadays (both brick-n-mortar, as well as online) and probably have cheap the construction of them has become. With the advent of two-piece bike flag poles, also came the (really) cheap and (easily) breakable plastic joiner piece. Recently, mine snapped in-half when I rode under a carport...

IMG_0675.JPG

...so next I wandered around Lowe's looking for something to replace it with. :mmm: I finally happened to see the turnbuckles and thought, "Now that'd make a hefty replacement" for the broken plastic piece. So after gently reaming out a bit of the 3" x 1/4"x20 threads I managed to slip it down onto the bottom flag pole. It runs up from my rear axle and is held in place, as it runs between my M5 seat and one of the rear seat stays.

IMG_0674.JPG
    (One wrap of amber-colored reflective tape around the turnbuckle)​

Since the lower 3' flag pole is (sorta) held in place by my seat and the rear stay, I opted to use it normally, but chose to find one of my older and longer single-piece 6' flag poles to place atop of the new turnbuckle joiner. And Wha-La, I now have a flag resting atop a 9' pole whenever I'm riding. :thumbsup:

So is it any better :idunno:, but at least vehicles approaching me (from over a hill, here in TN) can see me just a bit sooner. :applause:

On a sidenote, I reamed out the uppermost threads of the turnbuckle a bit more than the lower portion (which is now permanently attached to the lower 3' flagpole with a little 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive) so I could quickly and easily insert the top 6' section of flagpole with the flag on it. While it's not a 'tight' fit at all, it's never came out over the past month of riding with it so I'm satisfied with it...for now.:wink9: