1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best bike lights 2022 - Front/Rear Lights to help you see and be seen

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by NewsBot, Jul 18, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Best bike lights 2022 - Front and rear lights to help you see and be seen Cyclingnews.com

The best bike lights keep you safe riding at night, and during the day
    When road cyclists think about the best bike lights on the market, they are often looking for the best rear bike light. While we've certainly got options in that category, the best bike lights span a huge range of options. There are options for front bike lights, and rear bike lights, with some of them meant to make you more visible and some of them meant to help you see. There are options to pair with the best commuter bikes but also models that pair with the best road bikes. Some of us here at Cyclingnews are even big fans of pairing the best bike lights with the best gravel bikes and getting seriously adventurous.

With so many options available, we understand doing all the research is a daunting process. That's why we've taken the time and done it for you. We cover both the best front bike lights and the best rear bike lights and there are options mixed in for whatever style of riding you prefer.

Continue reading...

2. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    I have a NiteRider OLED1200 that I run on front, moving it bike to bike. The rear varies by bike. I have a couple of CygoLite 350s, a couple of NiteRider, and my latest and most favorite taillight - the Niterider 330 lumen. It will toast your eyeballs in full sunlight!

A.D. likes this.
  3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I'm still running a pair of Dinotte lights, one front and one in the back. Well satisfied, except for when it will come to refurbish time. :surprised:

4. Gaidheal

Gaidheal

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    Nine Mile Creek
    Ride:
    61-uY4VbzaL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

The best rear light I have ever used is the VARIA 51x series. You cannot miss it day or night and it lasts longer on a charge than I can ride.

The bonus is the radar feature that shows how many - and the relative speed - vehicles are approaching on my Wahoo Roam

5. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    elemnt-roam-gps-bike-computer-1.jpg

:mmm: So does the radar feature show up along the left side via the blue lights, or across the top via the white lights?

6. Gaidheal

Gaidheal

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    Nine Mile Creek
    Ride:
    It shows up on the left side of the LCD display (recent firmware lets you change sides for those that ride on the wrong side of the road lol). The LEDs are not used to indicate the relative position of the vehicle(s) behind you

When there are no vehicles approaching there is a green strip on the left side of the screen. If vehicles approach the green strip changes to orange (or red if they are coming above a certain speed threshold), the head unit beeps and the vehicles (I can't remember how many it tracks but it is several at least) progress is shown by a car icon*** that moves up the strip until the car is beside you (one icon per car). Once there are no more cars, the unit beeps "all clear" and the strip goes back to green.

Absolute game changer. We got the unit originally for my hearing-impaired wife: she can't ride with the hearing aids as the wind noise is crippling so with the radar (it can pair to multiple head units at the same time so we can share one radar on dual rides!) her first indication of traffic is no longer when it shows up beside her. It literally allows her to ride on the roads here without the anxiety of suddenly having cars/trucks/transports/etc right beside her.

I've heard arguments that mirrors do the same thing but that is only partially True - the radar picks up vehicles farther away, on a wider swath than the mirror generally can... and it is *ALWAYS* looking... you don't have to be looking at it to be notified. One specific example - I rode the other morning and the radar alerted me to vehicles I could *not* see in my mirror due to the position of the SUN.

*** you can "hack" the wahoo units to change the icons... mine are currently skulls. lol

A.D. likes this.
  7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Very nifty. I've never seen one, but was aware it was 'supposed' to track whatever is coming up behind you. Great that they work so well. I did notice the Wahoo unit is currently on sale, at over 20% OFF...:mmm:

8. Gaidheal

Gaidheal

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    Canada
    City:
    Nine Mile Creek
    Ride:
    GPLama has a bunch of videos that are great to demo how the radar warnings work on compatible head units - he shows demo mode and live examples on the roads.

A.D. likes this.
  9. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD

Just learned Garmin has a Varia unit with a built-in camera now. :thumbsup:. It's fairly impressive, to me anyway, that they can detect vehicles over a football field behind you. :surprised:

10. Tri-Seeker

Tri-Seeker

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    Czech Republic
    City:
    Prague
    Ride:
    Trike, mongo-ish
    Hmm, I thought that it is an internet urban legend that americans measure everything in odd measures... Interesting...:newhere:

11. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    ha, ha. If a meter and a yard were not 'about' the same, I'd be lost in the metric world! :twitcy:

12. Tri-Seeker

Tri-Seeker

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    Czech Republic
    City:
    Prague
    Ride:
    Trike, mongo-ish
  13. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :laugh9: Now that's funny, er, ah and pretty much true! :wink9:

14. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Interesting, I was wondering what the NiteLink feature was and their video clearly explains it. Kind of nifty! :thumbsup:

slitespd likes this.
  15. slitespd

slitespd

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    AZ
    City:
    Wickenburg
    Ride:
    Bacchetta Giro A26
    I just purchased two more of these…………………dang inexpensive and very bright. They come with a clip for hanging on various straps and a rubber strap for seatposts or seat support tubes. Four running modes.
    I don’t have a longevity report since these are brand new to me but for that price……………not much to lose. They are far brighter than some of the $25-$40 ones I’ve owned over the years.

upload_2022-12-28_5-25-30.png

A.D. likes this.