1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Cycling Changed Me

Discussion in 'U.S. Riders' started by NewsBot, Jul 14, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    luciasettia-jpg-1657814259.jpg
    How Cycling Changed Me - Lucia Sattia Bicycling

Name: Lucia Saitta
    Hometown: Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
    Time Cycling: About 10 years
    Reason for Cycling: I wanted to stay a step ahead of my multiple sclerosis—I was not ready to give up or give in!

It has been almost 15 years since my multiple sclerosis (MS) diagnosis. Honestly, that was a dark day for me. For about a year, I became withdrawn and depressed. My neurologist at that time told me that I would be in a wheelchair and unable to walk within 10 years. I knew I had to change the trajectory of my life. So I decided to turn my “pity party” into a goal to beat MS!

I started to volunteer at various cycling events that raised funds to find a cure for my condition. Through that, I was approached by a friend, Roland Hoffman, who asked if I would like to ride tandem with him. At that time, I felt too weak to ride a bike, so I was hesitant to try—but eventually, I did.

At the beginning, Roland would take me on his tandem around my block so I would feel comfortable on a bike. Eventually, we rode several Bike MS: Bay to Bay bike tours for multiple sclerosis research. I became comfortable and motivated to ride more. We continued to ride together until I purchased a recumbent trike of my own. This allowed me the freedom to ride solo.

Flash forward to last month, when I attempted my first ...

Continue reading...