1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Carbon fiber or fiberglass?

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by TymberMan, Jun 26, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. TymberMan

TymberMan

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    FL
    City:
    New Smyrna Beach
    Ride:
    Bacchetta Carbon Aer
    Name:
    Joe
    I need to repair a broken Bacchetta seat. I bought the seat from a shop used. They used it to mount on different bikes and had drilled many holes in it. Unsurprisingly, it broke after I used it for a few months. New Bacchetta seats are unobtainable. I am going to attempt to do my first carbon repair on this seat. This seems to be a good place to attempt my first work, since it’s not visible and all I need is strength.

The only thing that’s confusing me, is that while the underside is clearly carbon fiber, the seating service itself is a weave of tan and black strands. This appears to me to be some sort of blend between fiberglass and carbon fiber. Can anyone enlighten me as to what is material is? And if I need to do anything special in dealing with it?

3B44CF96-3621-4E89-B299-637B3CDD07D7.jpeg

2. TymberMan

TymberMan

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    FL
    City:
    New Smyrna Beach
    Ride:
    Bacchetta Carbon Aer
    Name:
    Joe
    I have tried multiple times to upload a photo of the seating surface to show the color of the weave on that side. For some reason I'm unable to upload the JPEG. But I will try again later

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    If it is a large file, that may be the reason. The board will attempt to downsize a big photo, but if it is huge it can’t do so. :embarrassed9:

I’ll check a bit later, but I think the limit is 2MB maybe?

:update: No the Limit is currently set to 4MB/pic.

4. TymberMan

TymberMan

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    FL
    City:
    New Smyrna Beach
    Ride:
    Bacchetta Carbon Aer
    Name:
    Joe
    I downsized the file to a few hundred kB and it still won't load.

5. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Hmm, I could not upload the pic either, nor could I drag-n-drop. :mmm: The file size is not too large, the pixel dimensions are not too large either and it's not infected with malicious code. :idunno:

However, after uploading it to the internet on another site, I was able to reference it (via URL) and then XenForo captured the file. So here it is, for others to see...

Broken%20Bacchetta%20seat%20-%202.jpe

6. TymberMan

TymberMan

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    FL
    City:
    New Smyrna Beach
    Ride:
    Bacchetta Carbon Aer
    Name:
    Joe
    Thank you! I think there is a forbidden message hidden in the apparently regular crossweave of the fiber.

A.D. likes this.
  7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :twitcy: We need to look closer! :thumbsup:

8. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I've never worked with carbon fiber, but I have spent time doing fiberglass in my youth (i.e. decades ago) and done right it can be incredibly strong. It will be interesting, for me, to see how your repair goes and the seat holds up. :thumbsup:

9. TymberMan

TymberMan

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    FL
    City:
    New Smyrna Beach
    Ride:
    Bacchetta Carbon Aer
    Name:
    Joe
    I think I have my answer. I've done a little bit of research and it looks like it is a combination of Kevlar fiber and carbon fiber. I didn't know that existed, and I wonder why it was used, since every other carbon fiber seat seems to use only carbon fiber.

10. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yes, it was out long before carbon fiber and I know a lot of early bullet resistant vest employed it. My guess is, it's cheaper than carbon fiber so they used a combination.

I know when Simpson Racing first did the Darth Vader helmets in all carbon fiber the price was around $400. However, they soon discovered they could not use the (carbon fiber) scraps from earlier runs to make more helmets out of it. Then the price jumped up to $1200!