1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clicking/Creaking Sound on ICE Adventure?

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by PeteCress, Jun 25, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. PeteCress

PeteCress

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    PA
    City:
    Paolt
    Ride:
    (none yet)
    It has come on slowly over the past several weeks: a creaking/clicking sound when pressure is applied to the left pedal.

I *think* I can see the boom deflecting a couple of mm coincident with the sound, but would not bet the mortgage money in it.

Tightened the living snot out of the boom bolts, then extended the boom and wiped down with alcohol and reassembled - but no change in either case.

It sounds to me for all the world like a cracked frame "working" as pressure is applied/removed - but I have looked and looked for a crack to no avail.

Has anybody been here?

ICE Adventure HD Tadpole trike, steel frame, alu boom extension, 200# rider who has broken a steel Diamond Frame road bike and a Ti frame mountain bike - both at the rear dropouts.

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Have you tried changing the pedals out? That’s an easy way to insure it is not them, before you dive deeper.

If so, my next move would be to purchase a MaganaFlux Testing Kit. Briefly, you clean the surface, spray some dye onto it and then use a developer to SEE any cracks.

Ref: Dynaflux 368-PHF315-16 Phf Penetrant - Method B & C https://a.co/d/6EpHhfy

3. DonkeyBoy

DonkeyBoy

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IN
    City:
    Fort Wayne
    Ride:
    Homebuilt
    If the crankset uses a square taper shaft, pull the arms, clean, regrease the taper and holes, and reinstall.

A.D. likes this.
  4. PeteCress

PeteCress

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    PA
    City:
    Paolt
    Ride:
    (none yet)
    Reinstalling the crankset cured it.

Except that I degreased the tapers instead of greasing them. Turns out that Tongsheng's spec calls for no grease and I suspect my greasing them last time I worked on it was the cause.

A.D. likes this.
  5. DonkeyBoy

DonkeyBoy

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IN
    City:
    Fort Wayne
    Ride:
    Homebuilt
    Hmm. Well that's a fine kettle o' fish!