1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

City assesses complaints about bus drivers

Discussion in 'Health and Safety' started by NewsBot, Jun 17, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    Whitehorse Transit has been investigating two separate complaints from cyclists about the behaviour of some of its bus drivers in recent days.

City assesses complaints about bus drivers Whitehorse Star

Whitehorse, Canada - Whitehorse Transit has been investigating two separate complaints from cyclists about the behaviour of some of its bus drivers in recent days.

Rob Pelletier, the alleged victim in one of the incidents, discussed his experience with the Star on Tuesday. It happened to him on May 30 while he was riding his recumbent bike in Riverdale.

He provided the Star with copies of the complaint he filed with Jason Bradshaw, the manager of Whitehorse Transit.

“This is a report of an incident of aggressive and dangerous driving carried out by a City of Whitehorse bus driver. This incident happened on May 30th at around 2 p.m. while travelling in to Riverdale,” Pelletier wrote.

“The bus identification number is 2255.”

Pelletier said, “I was riding my bicycle in the bike lane on Lewes Boulevard just after passing Selkirk Elementary when I was passed by city bus #2255.

“As the bus passed me, the driver intentionally veered into the bicycle lane, nearly hitting me, and then proceeded to move back into the allotted car lane, which is when I noted that it was bus #2255.

“Once I got home, I drove out of Riverdale to find out the name of the driver. I found bus #2255 at the bus stop by Second and Main by the bank.

“I entered the bus and asked him his name, but he told me that he didn’t need to tell me his last name. He asked me what it was about and explained to him that I was the cyclist that he veered into, nearly hitting me intentionally.

“He denied all of it and also told me that everything is recorded, which I was delighted to hear.

“I assured him that this was going to be reported. I told him that I trust that he will never do such things again and that he is a professional driver and should behave accordingly.”

Pelletier said, “This sort of aggressive driving towards cyclists can’t be tolerated at all, especially from a City of Whitehorse bus driver.”

Transit manager Bradshaw spoke to the Star about the incidents Tuesday.

He said an investigation into Pelletier’s case indicated there was no action to be taken. He wrote the same thing in an email to Pelletier.

“Hello, Mr. Pelletier,” the Transit boss wrote.

“Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. The City takes these type of claims very seriously and has fully investigated the events you described on May 30, 2022 in Riverdale.

“As you are aware, Whitehorse Transit buses are equipped with numerous surveillance cameras and tracking devices, all which were employed in our investigation,”Bradshaw wrote.

“After a thorough review of these resources, we could not identify any actions by the driver which would constitute aggressive or unprofessional driving.”

Bradshaw added, though, “While our investigation did not reveal any ill intent on the transit driver’s part, it did offer the city an opportunity to review and adjust how we deliver some aspects of our services.

“We will take this to all of our drivers to better ensure that we mitigate the chances of these type of situations from happening again.”

Bradshaw said the city is still investigating a second complaint filed by a driver the Star hasn’t been able to contact yet.

“We are in the process of investigating the second incident,” Bradshaw said.

Continue reading...