1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are Recumbent Motorcycles Technically Better?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by NewsBot, Jun 11, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    Screen-Shot-2022-05-11-at-7.33.19-AM.jpg
    Are Recumbent Motorcycles Technically Better? Unofficial Networks

While the modern car is the distant descendent of a horse drawn carriage, the argument could be made that the modern motorcycle is the distant descendent of the horse itself. In fact, the stance in which a rider sits upon a motorcycle is still quite similar to the way a rider sits upon a horse; legs straddled across the seat or saddle, leaning forward holding onto the handles or reigns.

For quite a while, however, an innovative style of the motorcycle has existed, but for whatever reason, it’s failed to completely take off. I’m talking about the feet forward motorcycle, a style which, according to motorcycle YouTuber FortNine’s video, is better than the traditional motorcycle.

This video specifically highlights the Electron Light Electric Vehicle, an (as you could probably guess) electric feet forward motorcycle with a 200 Km (124.3 miles) range and up to 3700 wats of power. I don’t ride a motorcycle, so I should probably not even be a part of this conversation, but I think the whole idea is pretty neat, and I think there’s a good chance you will too.

Continue reading...

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Neat video, discussing the disadvantages of current motorcycle designs. However, I will note this is an 'electric' motorbike and thus it is easier to keep the engine out of the way of one's feet. Not sure how well the design would fair, if it employed an 1300cc inline four. :wink9:

3. Tri-Seeker

Tri-Seeker

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    Czech Republic
    City:
    Prague
    Ride:
    Trike, mongo-ish
    ...seems familiar, ad if I saw it somewhere... :smile9:

A.D. likes this.
  4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Very interesting, especially hauling a passenger by-your-side!

5. BentNotBroke

BentNotBroke

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    ME
    City:
    Eliot
    Ride:
    Longbikes G2
    Most of the same arguments for recumbent bikes. Sign me up.

6. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Haslett
    Ride:
    M5CHR
    Name:
    John
    I don't think that recumbent design motorcycles are necessarily better. The main advantage of a 'bent over an upright bicycle is that the bent doesn't have that uncomfortable saddle. Well, a motorcycle doesn't have an uncomfortable saddle, anyway. And air resistance isn't really an issue, either, because on a motorcycle there is plenty of power to travel at speed up and down hills or into a headwind. I think the only disadvantage for an upright design would be fuel economy, while it would have an advantage in low-speed maneuverability. Overall, I don't foresee recumbent motorcycles becoming popular anytime soon.

7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    EAX6BRGQGETKNHTHUVXR6FOZFE.jpg

Yeah I've never seen a recumbent motorcycle, but I do recall Dan Gurney's Alligator Motorcycle when it came out. I'd like to ride one just to see what it was like, but since they never not caught-on...there's a reason for it.(i.e. solved a problem, that didn't exist) :wink9:

8. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Haslett
    Ride:
    M5CHR
    Name:
    John
    I have to admit, that looks comfortable for long solo rides.

A.D. likes this.
  9. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    It also looks good for short legged people like me!

Can’t wait for the SWB version!

A.D. likes this.
  10. thacapt

thacapt

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    OR
    City:
    Portland
    Ride:
    Easy Racers tiRush
    Name:
    Lonnie
    I agree with Blazingpedles with motorcycles having the extra power to sacrifice aero refinement. Comparatively - e-assist has changed my mindset dramatically of how I view "plenty of power ie additional weight" for distance rides. The handicap of human power is what keeps us in the recumbent mine set. Now - - with e-assist I no longer worry about (lack of performance wattage - optimum component usage ie tires wheels driveline resistance - weight vs aerodynamics, etc.) - the things that we racers are obsessed by. Now I can use the right stuff instead of the light stuff for durability. However - what was learned in the human power experience is invaluable aero refinement needed for the the distance game. Aerodynamics will always win out every time hence Battle Mountain results.

A.D. likes this.