1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pinion gearbox review

Discussion in 'Recumbent Discussions' started by Smith Roadie, May 25, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. Smith Roadie

Smith Roadie

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    LA
    City:
    Abita Springs
    Ride:
    Carver Ti-Glide
    Name:
    John
    Pinion-P-Linie-blau.jpeg

I thought I’d post a review of my Pinion P1.18 gearbox, having ridden my new Carver Ti-Glide for 840 miles. As per the Pinion owner’s manual: “the surfaces of the gears and transmission components are smoothed down over the first 1,000 kilometers of cycling. Following, the gearbox will run more smoothly with slick shifting operations.”

During the initial build of the bike, I tried to give the gearbox a spin using one of the crankarms before the chain was mounted on the chainrings, as I had in the past while servicing my old SXP’s SRAM drivetrain when the chain was off. The difference was profound, as the Pinion didn’t spin at all opposed to the 2-3 revolutions the SRAM would make. My first impression was concerning, yet I was unfamiliar with bicycle gearboxes.

My bike rides followed my usual flat-to-rolling hills routes from home (see https://ridewithgps.com/trips/56836137), noticing right away that my breathing was labored, and my speed was slow based on my new computer (Cateye Padrone) and my Polar heart rate monitor. At first, my average speed was 2 mph slower while my average heart rate was 5 beats faster.

I had not ridden in 8 weeks while waiting for the bike’s delivery and was still ‘wearing” Christmas cookies and egg nog ;), but my comparison to past January/February riding data showed the difference was real. Yet, I felt I needed a “running in” as much as the gearbox did.

My average speed has increased over 1 mph since my first ride on the bike and while I got used to the gearbox over the next couple hundred miles. After over 800 miles, my average speed is now within a half mile per hour of past years’ average speed on my SXP on the same routes and my average heart rate is back to normal. Pinion is wise to point out the importance of the running-in period. My patience was rewarded. This matches Pinion mountain bike reviews of how the gearbox gets better over time.

I stated in my 200-mile review of my new Ti-Glide how much I liked the Pinion over the 3x9 SRAM and my additional 640 miles have only made me smile more. I start out in 6th gear, unless on a hill, and shift up 2 gears at a time as my speed increases. I still have torque doing 30 mph going downhill in 18th, albeit our hills are short here. I find the need to downshift the Pinion two gears at a time while barely stopping the pedals when climbing. When cruising the flats, I’m in gear 13 or 14 doing 15-17 mph, while the small 11.5% gear difference is nice in a headwind. It is also good to be able to quickly dump or jump several gears at once when desired. I’ve become completely used to its shifting, for it only takes a moment to stop pedaling to shift one or more gears.

Yes, I’ve lost a half mph on my average so far, but I may gain it back completely as I return to my usual summer body weight. Meanwhile, I’ll follow all my doctor’s advice and “just keep riding that bicycle.”

Tri-Seeker, A.D. and BentNotBroke like this.
  2. BentNotBroke

BentNotBroke

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    ME
    City:
    Eliot
    Ride:
    Longbikes G2
    I look forward to hearing how this progresses. Thanks for sharing. May I ask what your average cadence is?

3. Smith Roadie

Smith Roadie

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    LA
    City:
    Abita Springs
    Ride:
    Carver Ti-Glide
    Name:
    John
    I quit measuring cadence when I switched bikes and computers. In the past (using a Cateye Astrale), I would downshift when my cadence got below 72 and shift up at about 82. I just let my legs do their thing now and shift when it feels its time, sooner if I'm tiring or have a sore knee at the time.

4. Smith Roadie

Smith Roadie

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    LA
    City:
    Abita Springs
    Ride:
    Carver Ti-Glide
    Name:
    John
    Next up is the 1,000 mile oil change, as per Davis Carver's advise.