1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ice Adventure HD Recumbent Trike May Be the Cycling Machine You Never Knew You Wanted...

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by NewsBot, May 19, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    ice-adventure-hd-recumbent-trike-may-be-the-cycling-machine-you-never-knew-you-wanted_7.jpg
    Ice Adventure HD Recumbent Trike May Be the Cycling Machine You Never Knew You Wanted autoevolution

Folks, if the bicycle world has something that can be compared to the most comfortable gaming chair, it's the recumbent trike. You know, the ones that have you sitting laid back, relaxed, and able to ride for as long as your legs or knees will allow you to. On the other hand, the trike we'll be exploring today is nothing like the ones you may see your neighborhood grandpa riding around on. No, this one's a machine designed for some serious adventuring.

Before talking about the Ice Adventure HD recumbent trike, let me point out a bit about the crew behind the machine, Rad Innovations. If this crew sounds familiar, it could be because I've covered one other trinket from them, the Catrike, also a recumbent trike. Come to think of it, it's just about all this team designs and builds; recumbent machines.

However, the adventure HD is a trike that's slightly different from what you may be used to. As per the manufacturer's website, the HD is designed for one purpose and one purpose only: to be a bicycle that opens up new horizons for you in terms of comfortable and healthy exploration. Let's not forget that it is a bicycle, so physical activity is included. But, there's is a bit of a trick up this trike's sleeve; it can also be adapted with a Shimano STEPS motor, helping you ride even further than your legs would generally carry you.

Now, recumbent bikes are known for their comfort, and what Rad has done with this one is go a step further and design a wider frame, yielding better stability. Since larger wheels are part of the package, the wider frame helps keep a solid center of gravity, while the seat is raised a tad to offer clearance.

Why do all that? All because this puppy can even be taken off the tarmac and onto the road less traveled. Knowing that you might like to venture a bit off-road, Rad also gives you the option to add a suspension system to the trike.

Obviously, that will cost extra, so do bring more than just the $4,015 (€3,800 at current exchange rates) asking price for this machine. A fully equipped HD and one that includes a full suspension and Steps motor will cost you at least $9,300 (€8,780 at current exchange rates). Sure, it's quite the cash, but this is the sort of bike that's meant to be your companion for years to come.

Continue reading...

DeadGrandpa likes this.
  2. PeteCress

PeteCress

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    PA
    City:
    Paolt
    Ride:
    (none yet)
    I have been riding an ICE Adventure HD FS for going on two years now.

I would caution prospective buyers to take the "Offroad" claims with a grain of salt.

The minimalist elastomer suspension on mine has very limited travel and zero damping.

It takes the edge off of small irregularities like seams between sections of sidewalk and shallow divots - but with any serious bumps (like tree roots or potholes) at more than 2-3 mph, I feel like I am flirting with spinal cord injury. Over time, I have learned to sit bolt upright before hitting such bumps but it's still a jolt.

A.D. likes this.
  3. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    The ICE Adventure HD fully rigid trike that I bought (barely) used 5 years ago is the pride of the fleet at my house. I didn’t really need the extra strength of the HD model since I’m a little guy, but the price was too good! Zero regrets!

A.D. likes this.