1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

UPDATE: Alert Spokane, WA pawn shop helps victim recover stolen specialty tricycle

Discussion in 'Stolen Recumbents!' started by NewsBot, Apr 22, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    623919d69325c.image.jpg
    UPDATE: Alert Spokane pawn shop helps victim recover stolen specialty tricycle KHQ Right Now

Spokane, WA - Less than 24 hours after the community was made aware of the theft of a specialty Tricycle, the victim has his property back.

On Monday, KHQ introduced you to Josh Killingsworth. He was devastated after his tricycle was taken from his double locked garage over the weekend. By Tuesday morning, he was enroute to pick up his precious property after an alert pawn shop was able to confiscate the stolen tricycle.

Josh says it is being checked out at a local shop, but appears to be in good condition. He says the lights on it as well as other accessories were taken.

"The bags I had on it with emergency kit stuff, I had an extra cane and medical supplies...those were pretty much gutted," he said.

But he's focusing on gratitude as those things he says are easily replaced. Friends sent up a fundraising page to replace the tricycle if it wasn't found. He's now using those donations to get lights back on the tricycle and for additional security around the garage. He hopes it will deter potential thieves down the road.

"We put extra lights up around the garage there, but hopefully we can put up cameras too," he said.

Josh says he wants to share his heartfelt gratitude for our wonderful community and the many people who reached out wanting to help him.

"Thank you so much for your efforts," he said. "I had so many messages from people. Lots of support and ideas (from the public.)"

The crooks also stole power tools and sound equipment. Those items have not yet been recovered.

Police are investigating a garage burglary that occurred late Friday or early Saturday near Shannon and Adams. The victim says the crooks stole some expensive power tools and sound equipment, but what hurts the most is the theft of his beloved set of wheels.

"You know, I can't get on a regular two-wheel bike, I can't lift my leg that high and probably couldn't balance even if I was riding it," victim Josh Killingsworth said. "So I got this (tricycle) specially done for me."

The tricycle was stolen over the weekend. The thieves broke through two locks on his detached garage door and helped themselves to some precious property.

"I'm still kind of sick to my stomach, and it's been a few days," he said. "This was everything. It was my mobility."

623919e6b8fd2.image.jpg

Josh was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis back in 2007.

"But I definitely felt I had it years before that," he said. "Pretty much everything is a struggle...harder than it should be."

He longed for a set of wheels made just for him, but worried the large purchase was out of reach.

"I kind of test rode one at a specialty store in Portland and said, 'Hey, this is my dream,'" he recalled.

A dream his loved ones rallied together to make come True about two years ago. They all chipped in and a fundraiser brought in upward of $8,000 so Josh could buy the tricycle. He was then able to customize it just for him. It was a gift that never stopped giving.

"The world, my world was really small, but once I got on that bike, I was like, 'I have lived in this neighborhood for four years, and I've never seen two blocks away if I wasn't in a car,'" he said.

His countdown for spring to ride again is now a painful reminder of just how much was stolen from his garage.

"It meant a lot," he said.

Josh did make an online report on the break-in to Crime Check. He's hopeful our community will be on the lookout for his tricycle. He urges anyone who may have seen it to come forward. You can report any sightings to Crime Check at 509-456-2233.

Following the theft, friends have set up another fundraiser to hopefully replace the tricycle if it’s not found, and also pay for additional security cameras and lights around the victim’s home. If you'd like to pitch in, you can donate HERE!

Continue reading...