1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Spring Maintenance

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by jpsantell, Apr 21, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. jpsantell

jpsantell

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    NY
    City:
    Newark
    Ride:
    Trident Trekker20
    I've been working on my Trident Trekker for about three weeks getting it ready for my riding season. I had ordered my trike last year and got it in summer so only had about 200 to 300 miles on it when I put it up for winter. Well this spring I switched the 1.5 Schwable Triker tires for 1.95 Maxxis Hookworms. In that 2 to 300 miles I rode my trike last year, I managed to get two flats. Those Triker tires are paper thin whereas the Hookworms have substantial thickness plus I installed Slime tube protectors on all three tires so I'm hoping that will take care of the flat problem. I also replaced all three plastic fenders with some aluminun fenders I fabricated out in my handyman shop. They're a little wider and less deeply arched than the plastic ones and I mounted them further away from the tires than the plastic fenders were mounted. Those original fenders were mounted less than a half inch from the tires and the mounting nuts were like 1/8 inch from the tire. I didn't like that.
    The second to the last thing I did was to go from front to back and check all of the nuts and bolts. My accessory mount bolt, right thumb shifter nut, one of the boom clamp bolts, idler mounting bolt and the rear derailleur mounting bolt were all a little loose. I think this ten minutes checking torque probably saved me a ton of trouble later on. The last thing I did was clean and lube my chain and lubricate all the moving machinery on the trike. I'm feeling good about what I've done and I think I'm ready to ride. I had surgery and am cleared to ride next week, as long as the New York weather is willing to play along, the day before yesterday we had snow. When I get a chance to transfer some pictures, I'll post some pics of the fenders I made plus a description of how I did it.

A.D. likes this.
  2. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    Sounds like you and your trike are ready to roll...