1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Environmental campaigners land in Scarborough after worldwide travels

Discussion in 'International Riders (Outside the U.S.)' started by NewsBot, Apr 15, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    QVNIMTI1MzU1OTI4.jpg
    Environmental campaigners land in Scarborough after worldwide travels The Scarborough News

A world-traveller and environmental campaigner has shared details of his 18-year mission to save the planet as he settles in Scarborough.

Martin Hutchinson, 60, travels with his rescue dog Starsky, who he met during his time in Portugal. The pair have become known as “Starsky and Hutch, 21st Century Environmental Explorers”.

Martin, who is originally from Manchester, set off from England in 2004 with the intention of sailing around the world.

His journey came to an abrupt end when his yacht sank off the coast of South Africa during a hurricane.

Martin decided that he would continue his travels on foot and set off from Cancun, Mexico, in 2006.

He walked 34,000km across 21 countries in Central and South America.

Martin said: “I walked across deserts and mountains, horrendous ranges of mountains and jungles.

One of the issues about being on the road is that a lone traveller may sometimes be at risk of attack.

In Ecuador, Martin had his first encounter with lawlessness in another country: “The first time I got attacked, it was by two young lads in the afternoon.

“They were walking towards me and put their hands out to shake my hand.

“They tried to grab my camera, pushed me towards the bushes and hit me over the head with a glass bottle.

“I ran out into the road and luckily enough there was a police car coming.

“These two young people ran away over the fields. The policeman got out of the car ...

Continue reading...