1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Life at a 45-Degree Angle: Cycling Utah

Discussion in 'U.S. Riders' started by NewsBot, May 8, 2021.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    Jeff-and-Sandy-Levenson-Recumbent-Bicycles-IMG_3028-500x375.jpg
    Jeff and Sandy Levenson on their recumbent bicycles.
    Life at a 45-Degree Angle - Cycling West Cycling Utah

Utah - As this is a new column, a bit of history is called for. I began 70 years ago, at age 5, on a kiddie bike with training wheels. After losing the trainers, moved on to a coaster brake JC Whitney cruiser, which probably outweighed me. At age 12, my Grandmother presented me with a state-of-the-art machine, a glossy black Raleigh (from Nottingham, England – home of Robin Hood and the dastardly Sheriff). In 1985, the gas shortage led me and my wife to purchase 10 speed French Racing bikes to commute with. Later we moved on to touring bikes, mountain bikes, and tandems.

Then…disaster struck! In the words of one of my doctors (you get a lot of them in retirement), “Your backbone is turning into talcum powder”. If you watch TV, you will know from the overabundant legal commercials that talcum powder is deadly stuff. A few years earlier, we had, on a whim, bought two recumbent trikes. The solution to the back problem! And the seats were super comfortable – no “breaking-in” of a saddle that ...

Continue reading...