1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Travel advice needed

Discussion in 'Rides, Routes and Events' started by mobilemail, Mar 26, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    My wife are planning a trip to the Clover SC/Charlotte NC area sometime in June. I thought I would scout ahead and see if there are any recumbent destinations and/or activities nearby that I may not want to miss?

I will likely travel from north of St. Louis through Nashville and Knoxville in one direction, and through Lexington and Louiville in the other.

I have cycled the Nashville trails on the southwest side and some closer to Franklin; and have ridden the Louisville loop; and ridden trails in Lexington and some horse farm area. If you had some suggestions for new territory, that would be great!

2. iambent

iambent

Region:
    SouthWest
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Maryville
    Ride:
    Stratus 700
    Name:
    John
    Hey Mark,
    Don't know if you have ever ridden the Horsey Hundred, but there are some really nice routes in the Georgetown/Lexington, KY area. I believe I've done the ride eight times. Only did it once on a bent, a Bacchetta Giro. All the other times were on DF's or RANS crank forwards. Terrain is mostly continuous short steep hills. Very tough ride on a two wheel bent, especially the longer routes.

Since the ride is over Memorial Day weekend, I imagine there will still be road markings showing when you are there in June. The routes will be available on Ride with GPS in the middle of May. https://horseyhundred.com/about/routes/

Going to Charlotte I do not know if you will be going close to Asheville, NC. If so, there are some fantastic scenic routes around Asheville, especially on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. When I rode in the Asheville area it was always on a DF, so not sure what the mountain climbs are like on a bent. You can do a loop where you come off of the Parkway onto Town Mountain Road that is a 6 mile descent into Asheville which is a blast. There are also routes along the French Broad River where you can stay out of the mountains.

3. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    I haven't ridden the horsey hundred, but I have done a few rides out of Lexington KY. Several years ago I bought a book called "Wheeling Around the Bluegrass" (ISBN 1-884532-53-5) and used some of the routes in there as a basis for exploration. I found some rural roads through horse farm country that were delightful to ride. I may have to take another look at that book!