1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scorpion or Subzero? FIGHT!

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by wheflin, Mar 16, 2022.  |  Print Topic

?

What do you think would fit my needs best?

1. Scorpion

100.0%
  2. Subzero

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wheflin

wheflin

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    KS
    City:
    Derby
    Ride:
    Ultimate Trike
    Howdy,

I've been riding an Ultimate Trike Gen 2 for about a year now and am wanting to upgrade to something better. I've done a TON of research. Now I would like to reach out to others who may have some experience with these specific models.

I am 6'4" and 320 LBS. I am looking at either a Scorpion Plus 26 FS or Ice Adventure HD FS. I predominantly ride around neighborhoods and bike paths as my confidence grows around traffic. I would like to eventually get more adventurous. I like to go fast, but be in control if going down hill and a bump occurs. Lastly, I like a floaty/cushy ride, not teeth chattering. I currently have rear shock only. No front suspension.

Have you had either or both of these trikes? I have always leaned to the ICE due to it's luxe seat and I tried one locally and enjoyed it. There is nowhere local to try a scorpion. The closest place is 10 hours away.

I am only looking at the Scorpion because I hear the FS is awesome on it and it has more travel. HOWEVER, due to my size, it seems I need the Scorpion Plus over the regular FS. I like how the regular looks. HATE how the plus looks. 95% of the pictures have the raised seat on the plus instead of the regular seat. I prefer to lean back more than to be sitting in a chair. Can anyone confirm if the plus with the low profile seat is indeed more upright due to the frame?

What are your thoughts? I'd prefer not to have to fly somewhere just to try a Scorpion.

Thanks all!

2. 3TracksintheSnd

3TracksintheSnd

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    MO
    City:
    Chesterfield
    Ride:
    Scorpion FS
    OK, you are considering two very fine trikes. I don't know how they compare to your current trike, but, I think you'll be in seventh heaven on either the ICE or HP Velotechnik. ICE lists the maximum rider weight as 330 lbs. So you're good there. However, ICE does not go into detail regarding maximum weight on the trike, so I would assume that means that you'll have 10 pounds available for water and tools. On the HP Velotechnik side, you can go with the Scorpion plus 20 or 26 which also lists 330 lbs as the maximum rider plus luggage weight. Or, you might consider the Scorpion fs 26 series which lists the maximum weight of 308 lbs for rider and luggage and consider yourself on a strict diet with a lot of pedaling thrown in for good measure. Only you know yourself well enough to decide how much you're going to ride and if you will lose weight as part of your plan. There is a difference in handling between the brands, ICE is straightforward with zero brake steer and HP Velo has a bit more of a sporty feel with a bit of brake steer which allows very fine control in turns and high speed runs down the Flint Hills will be a lot of fun. The principal differences between the Scorpion and the Scorpion Plus is the 22 lbs more weight capacity and the larger size of the frame. The Plus is wider and sits higher which not everyone wants or needs but, because it's designed that way from the ground up, I imagine it will ride and handle just like the rest of the Scorpion line which translates to a very comfortable and sporty ride.

George

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I never ridden a Scorpion, but do recall sitting on one once and it was quite comfy.

I can vouch for ICE trikes not having any brake steer, and it’s certainly a nice feature.

Being your size, I’d probably go with the Plus since it’s a tad wider. Not sure I’d want to feel cramped on a trike, as it’s getting hard enough for me to get up & out of one when it’s right down on the ground. :exercise:

4. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    AD, when did you get a strike? I didn't know you road one. How do you like it commpared to your hi-racer?

5. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    You mean a ‘trike' I assume? I have an ICE - Q that I picked up from Buddy when he was shopping for something else. I had ridden Jo's Catrike Road some (before it was totaled, when a drunk driver hit her car after the ride up on Loudon years ago) and liked it. Felt like a go-cart to me on the downhills since you're so close to the ground and not having to unclip at Stop Signs is certainly refreshing. ha, ha. So not my favorite recumbent, but my favorite trike so far and thus it has it's place in the stable for leisure (read 'fat-burning') and carry more stuff along if/when needed. :thumbsup: