1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No justice for fallen San Diego bicyclist, we're all the same bike tribe, and ...

Discussion in 'Health and Safety' started by NewsBot, Feb 24, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    pexels-sora-shimazaki-5668882-2.jpg
    No justice for fallen San Diego bicyclist, we're all the same bike tribe, and greater inclusivity for all kinds of riders bikinginla.com

I missed the heart of this piece by San Diego’s KPBS when I included a link to it earlier this week.

The story dealt with victims’ families too often feeling like they’ve been let down by the justice system when killer drivers get off with a slap on the wrist, if that.

But what I missed was the focus on the wife of fallen bicyclist Matt Keenan, who was killed by a wrong way driver while riding in Mission Valley last year.

The county district attorney’s office decided not to charge the driver with a felony, after she claimed she hit Keenan head-on because she’d thought she was on a one-way street.

Call it barely plausible deniability.
    One problem is that police have to get a search warrant to examine a driver’s phone, which requires probable cause to believe a crime took place.

In other words, before they can get a judge to agree to let them see a driver’s phone, they need evidence that the driver was using it.

A legal Catch 22.

The law should be changed to require implied consent, just as anyone with a driver’s license is assumed to have consented to a blood alcohol test if police suspect they’re under the influence.

Merely possessing a driver’s license should give police the right to examine a phone following a collision to see if it had been in use at the time of a crash.

Failure to turn over the phone should result in an automatic loss of license, combined with a presumption of use.

Only then will we see justice for victims of distracted drivers.

And maybe even stop them from doing it in the first place.

Continue reading...