1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Winter Crosstraining

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by WardJ, Feb 10, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481
    When it gets cold I turn to MTB riding. Less wind in the Woods and on the short steep hills its easy to warm up quickly.

For a few years and over 2000 miles I tried it on a RANS V2 I built specifically for off road. She was a great ride and I miss her but she was just too compliant. Nice and soft over the harshest terrain this softness was a curse when putting out power. If my spin wasnt perfect or heaven forbid I tried mashing the frame would start flexing up and down.

So I let her go and I went back to upright MTBs. One day I will try again. A Schlitter Encore maybe. Or a MetaBikes Mystique.

A.D. likes this.
  2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    My winter crosstraining (to date) consists of...living on a farm! :twitcy:

WardJ likes this.
  3. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481
    I'm pretty lucky, my 6 acres is mostly wooded and last year my wife hired a crew to thin and clean the woods a bit. So this winter there hasnt been much. However, the work starts in two or three weeks. I just had 7 yards of mulch delivered I have to put out.

4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Funny story: My mom & dad always used to buy mulch from Lowe's, just as soon as it arrived in the Spring. One year they'd gotten a good size load, all in individual bags that were probably between 30 or 40 pounds/bag. Dad was bush-hogging across the road from their house in a 30+ acre field, when he heard mom S-C-R-E-A-M! He hurried home only to find mom quite upset on the front porch. She'd reached into one of the bags for a handful of mulch and picked up a LIVE 10" salamander of some sort! She was deathly afraid of snakes and it had so scared her so bad, that when she screamed dad had heard her all-the-way across the field when he was bush-hogging! :listenup: So watch out for what 'could' be in there! :surprised: FWIW, I think that's the last year they put the mulch down themselves. :twitcy:

5. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481
    I had a nice timber rattlesnake 2 years in my load.

6. steamer

steamer

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    PA
    City:
    Altoona
    Ride:
    Zevo and Wishbones
    Name:
    Tom
    Whichever takes the fatter tires would get my vote!

7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    OH MY! :jawdrop:

BTW, mom picked up a 10" salamander and not a 10' salamander.
    (Now corrected in my post above, ha, ha)