1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lenghthy chain question

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Repair' started by Flatfoot, Jan 14, 2022.  |  Print Topic

1. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Fieldbrook
    Ride:
    '96 Haluzak Horizon
    Name:
    MAC
    Hello friends, I need some wisdom. I am going to a 52t chainring from a 48t and I need to add 4 links. I got the brilliant idea to just use another new power link and short piece of chain. So I would have 3 power links running altogether. If it was an ordinary chain I'd splice in the extra links and be good to go. However it is a KMC extralight 9spd w/hollow pins. That dang thing had my chain breaker fearing for it's life. Hardest chain to break I've ever worked with. Also in case the 52t ring does not perform to my liking the mod would be easily reversible. If it all works well I can splice in the extra links later. Do you all see any problems running 3 power links for a limited time or is that taboo?

Thank you kindly, MAC

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    s-l300.jpg

Unless you were towing a hefty trailer up hills, I don't think it'll be a problem.

3. Tri-Seeker

Tri-Seeker

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    Czech Republic
    City:
    Prague
    Ride:
    Trike, mongo-ish
    For obvious reason, I have 3 standard cycle chains merged together with what A.D. posted above + one extra-easy-to-unjoin piece. No problems with chain for already 4k km.

In your case there could be an issue with majority of the chain being already worn (somehow) and that piece being "new". That can (in theory) cause irregularity in running the chain.
    I'd say, unless you are really tight on budget, buy a new chain for this test. It will give you clear results if change works for you or not and either way, chain is consumption material that you will need sooner or later anyway, so no money lost...

4. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi