1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best tires for a recumbent trike?

Discussion in 'Recumbent Discussions' started by Tnstaafl, Dec 25, 2021.  |  Print Topic

1. Tnstaafl

Tnstaafl

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    TX
    Ride:
    TT Cruiser
    Name:
    Tnstaafl
    I have a Terra Trike Cruiser for 15+ years - it's been a great bike riding experience - I've been using Schwalbe Marathon or Schwalbe Racer tires - I use puncture resistant tubes and put the green slime inside the tubes to minimize punctures - the Schwalbe tires have been fine, with smooth rides and very little rolling resistance, but I'm wondering if a different brand might give me more miles for my money. I ride pretty much 100% on concrete roads, sidewalks, and bike paths - very occasionally on decomposed granite or some kind of hard-pack. My usual ride is 10=>12 miles, 4=>6 times a week here in Texas - Summer temps 90+. I keep the tires properly inflated. I weigh about 230. Any suggestions on tires besides Schwalbe, similar quality and reliability, that'll give me more miles for my money? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
  3. Tnstaafl

Tnstaafl

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    TX
    Ride:
    TT Cruiser
    Name:
    Tnstaafl
    Thanks for the suggestions - "you must ride by a glass factory" - LOL, no glass factory, but I've had a few surprises and just figure better safe than sorry - plus, I'm on older guy (72), and I hate being inconvenienced by a flat tire - something like that'll ruin an otherwise great bike ride.

A.D. likes this.
  4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I heard that! ha, ha. One year while riding from park-to-park and camping in Florida, I had a flat alongside the road. I just sat down by the roadside and changed my tire, but not without incident. I was wearing a bright orange t-shirt and someone called 911 saying a bicyclist had been hit and there was blood everywhere :jawdrop:. The caller was describing ME, but I was just fine no accident at all. However it wasn't long before the :busted: and an ambulance showed up, rather puzzled...as was I :twitcy:. Our support truck, carrying our tents, etc had parked behind me off the side of the road. I guess someone thought it had hit/run-over me and called emergency services. An eventful day indeed. :laugh:

5. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I have used Marathon tires before and like them. I am currently using Continental Gaterskin tires. I like them as well yet they are a bit lighter tire. Still a bear to get on and off the rim. I bought them for puncture resistance and they haven't failed me yet!

A.D. likes this.
  6. Hoch Fahrer

Hoch Fahrer

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    aurora
    Ride:
    Scorpion fs26
    Running with Continental Contact Urban 42-406 tires this season. Best tires ever on my trike.

skypilot18, Flatfoot and A.D. like this.
  7. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Region:
    NorthWest
    State/Country:
    CA
    City:
    Fieldbrook
    Ride:
    '96 Haluzak Horizon
    Name:
    MAC
    +1 on the Continental Contact line. The Contact and Ride Tour are fine tires. They seem more supple/lively than Schwalbe. Several varieties of Contact available with knarly flat protection.

Cheers, MAC

skypilot18 and A.D. like this.
  8. Tnstaafl

Tnstaafl

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    TX
    Ride:
    TT Cruiser
    Name:
    Tnstaafl
    Thanks for the thoughts - before all the responses came in, I ended up going back to the Schwalbe Marathons and purchased three of them - now, if the weather here will just warm up a bit I'll give them a spin - 32 is way too cold for me - 68 and sunny is my minimum - yeah, I'm a wuss.

9. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    That's right AD I remember that quite well. Fred Clayton was our SAG support. Also, I was wearing a bright red jersey when Will Jorgensen and I got tangled up at a stop light and fell in the intersection. Cops thought it was a "hit and run". That was quite a day.:jiggy9:

I remember touring, those were some really good times. I wish we could get together again and do more rides together. Get together and ride have lunch and ride some more. The camaraderie is fantastic. Maybe I can get something together this later spring early summer after the rally is over. Be an idea at least...

Flatfoot likes this.
  10. tadpolerider

tadpolerider

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    IN
    City:
    Fort Wayne
    Ride:
    Catrike Trail
    Name:
    Steve
  11. jpsantell

jpsantell

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    NY
    City:
    Newark
    Ride:
    Trident Trekker20
    I'm interested in this. My trike came with Schwable tryker tires and I managed to get 2 flats in 200 miles. I refuse to use them this coming year.

12. Hoch Fahrer

Hoch Fahrer

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    aurora
    Ride:
    Scorpion fs26
    I ditched my Trykers after 7 flats in the first season. Now running on Conti Contact Urbans in front, M. supreme on rear.

13. Tnstaafl

Tnstaafl

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    TX
    Ride:
    TT Cruiser
    Name:
    Tnstaafl
    I ended up buying three Schwalbe Marathon tires - my understanding is that the Marathon Plus tires have additional puncture resistance over the regular Marathon tires - I've never had a puncture with the Regular Marathon tires (and slime in the puncture resistant tubes).

14. Tri-Seeker

Tri-Seeker

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    Czech Republic
    City:
    Prague
    Ride:
    Trike, mongo-ish
    Marathon plus are good tires in terms of puncture protection. I run them for six months or more and no problems so far.

BUT

they are very skiddish, at each turn I can hear them going sideways and that eats them alive. Almost no tread already.

Also, they are not the fastest rolling tires and putting them on the rims is small wrestling match on its own. But one has already pretty naughty slash in tread area and still serves well. If puncture protection is your TOP priority, take them with no doubts.

A.D. likes this.
  15. 3TracksintheSnd

3TracksintheSnd

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    MO
    City:
    Chesterfield
    Ride:
    Scorpion FS
    Tri-Seeker what you are describing is a trike with improper steering alignment. Thread wear should be down the middle of the tire and you should be getting at the lease a couple of thousand miles if not more of worry free riding on Marathon Plus front tires. The rear tire should be usable even longer. I normally get around 4,000 miles on the fronts of my Scorpions.

George

A.D. likes this.