1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What racks do you like for hauling

Discussion in 'Recumbent Discussions' started by junkman, Dec 16, 2021.  |  Print Topic

1. junkman

junkman

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Middle
    Ride:
    converting roadie
    I need a rack that fits a 2" receiver and has the ability to carry 2 bikes or trikes. The truck normally does the hauling but sometimes we want to take the car which has a 2" tow hitch. Wife is still on a bike and I need to carry the cartrike 559 in addition to whatever she's riding.

The local shop has a rack for $500 which looks like a $150 simple bent set of tubing. If I want whatever part that locks the rack into the receiver and keeps it from wobbling, that's extra.

I have a Kuat that is well made with great service but unfortunately doesn't fit. What comparable, well made racks are there for trikes?

2. Roaster 2

Roaster 2

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    NY
    City:
    poughkeepsie
    Ride:
    Catreck expordition
  3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
  4. junkman

junkman

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Middle
    Ride:
    converting roadie
    Unfortunately, I didn't consider taking the trike soon enough to do much more than throw money at the problem. I'll see whether it will fit folded. If so, I'll carry the bike on the regular rack and fold the trike.

I may be cheap but the prices seem unjustified for the low quality.

5. Martian

Martian

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    NC
    City:
    West of Charlotte
    Ride:
    BikeE CT
    Looked up the HITCHRIDER; it shouldn't be a surprise, but ya gotta factor in a fat shipping bill.

6. junkman

junkman

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Middle
    Ride:
    converting roadie
    Hitch rider is out of stock. A club member is looking for bike racks and I looked up my Kuat NV 2.0. It's about $600 but is available.
    I'm going to consider modifying the Kuat or even modifying a normal hitch cargo carrier. Any mods will have to work really well or I won't use them.
    I always think of how stupid it would be to let whatever I'm trying to haul go bouncing down the interstate. That could be an expensive or even deadly event caused simply by neglect and/or laziness.

I've noticed that the most neglected trailers are those that aren't used very much. The trailer deteriorates while sitting and people justify not fixing it because "they're only going xx miles.

Fortunately, the 559 folds so fits in the back of the wagon and we have a hitch. That will work for trips when we only carry 2 people and gear but isn't convenient for weekly tides. I don't want to be folding and unfolding multiple times/week..

7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Keep an eye on Craigslist too, as I see racks appear several times a year. The last great bargain was this one.

8. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    The only racks I have in storage are "Topper" racks. they can go on top your vehicle or up the back side depending on the vehicle.

9. RockyRoads

RockyRoads

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    CO
    City:
    Louisville
    Ride:
    Burley Canto
    We have a Hollywood 2" hitch mount rack. Fits LWB recumbents and has a tightening mechanism that keeps it from wobbling. I don't know if they have a trike adapter.

Just saw the Hollywood hrt220 in another post. Looks like the the rack you might need.

A.D. likes this.
  10. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    I personally use the 1 UP rack. You can take two bents at once. Won't work for trikes though.

I use the 1 bike version, but here is the two bike version. All made of aluminum. Really well made and somewhat light weight. The advantage is no matter what your bent configuration, if it has two wheels, it will work with this rack. LOVE IT!!! It is the most expensive rack I bought, but I have had it for 10 years and never plan to buy another one. Mine still looks new!

1-2in-Heavy-Duty-Double-Silver-Display.jpg

A.D. likes this.
  11. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I didn't realize 1UP made bike racks. I’ve had one of their trainers for over two decades now, premium quality products. :thumbsup:

12. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    MI
    City:
    Haslett
    Ride:
    M5CHR
    Name:
    John
    If there's nothing wrong with the Kuat except it won't fit on the 2" receiver, can you just get an adapter?

13. Joremland

Joremland

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Prospect Heights
    Ride:
    Vision R40
    The Kuat is gorgeous and the versatility and functionality of the 1-Up seems unmatched. We went with the less expensive Saris Freedom 4-bike and it has been awesome. We carry my family's three uprights and my Vision USS and it's super easy to load. It came with a smooth bolt to hold the tongue in the hitch receiver, but I took the threaded bolt and nut from the old rack and use that instead to keep it nice and tight. Another plus is that the bike is held up by the bike frame, not the wheel/tire. I've seen bikes in wheel-holding racks that had a flat tire and the bike wasn't held securely. With the frame-holding style, flat tires make almost no difference. OTOH, for your application, the stanchion that holds the bike frame might make it unusable for your trikes.

A.D. likes this.