1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Don't lose my post

Discussion in 'Board Issues/News' started by Mtwnrocket, Apr 10, 2010.  |  Print Topic

1. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    Can the forum be programmed to give a

"Post not yet sent. Are you sure you want to leave now?"

or some kind of warning along that line, when I compose a post and don't send it before (accidentally or on purpose) going on to another tab?

Also, for whatever reason, when I submit a post and the program crashes or something else doesn't work right, the post is lost. If it's a long post I'll sometimes copy it to my clipboard. Can a post be automatically saved as a draft for a few minutes to some on-line folder to be retrieved if that happens?

Dave

2. Fire Fly

Fire Fly

Region:
    West
    State/Country:
    MS
    Ride:
    Tera Trike Tour
    Name:
    Linda
    I was wondering why sometimes a post didn't take.

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Hmm, not that I'm aware of...

Again not that I know of, unless there is a MODification someone's written to perform this task. I'll check and see, but I've not seen one that I can recall.

If it's a l-o-n-g post, I usually type it up in PAGES (MAC's equivilent to WORD) and then paste it into a message on the board here.

4. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    This is GOOD ADVICE. I once had typed up a HUGE report in RRI and lost power. All my work went down the drain. Now I type anything of any length in WORD and save frequently. (My last report "Tale of Two Rides" was done that way. However, since I had pictures I PDF the files and attached them instead.)

5. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    I'm no expert, but would think there is a simple app that will auto-copy your text as you type it into the "Edit-copy-clipboard." Easily retrieveable if needed. Have also used your technique of writing in Word or even Notepad and copy-paste into RRI.

Dave

6. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yes, I do a CTRL-A (i.e. Select ALL) and then a CTRL-C (i.e. Copy) every now and then on longer posts I'm composing such. I use SAVVY Clipboard as it keeps a running record of the last 100 'copy' functions I do, but it's a Macintosh Application.

Anyway, as you mentioned it'd be neat if the board could do something like this in the background automatically. As I said, I'll check around for something that might help out.

7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Check out Lazarus, available for both FireFox & Google Chrome browsers.

Advertised as:

Ever had one of those “oh $*#*” moments when you've finally finished filling out a long form, and hit submit only to see an error message? And when you hit the back button, the form was blank... If so, you know you need Lazarus. And if not, you have a chance to install Lazarus before disaster strikes!

Using Lazarus, you can recover lost forms with a single click. Lazarus automagically encrypts and saves every form as you type. If the submission fails or if you forget to send it or your computer or browser crashes, then you can return to the page and recover the form data you originally entered.

Now works with WYSIWYG editors, Rich text boxes and AJAXified forms.
    Lazarus 2.0.4 now comes with 2048-bit RSA and 256-bit AES hybrid encryption so your data is more secure than ever! It also comes with a rather handy search feature to help you find that comment you wrote last week.

Lazarus is a simple, secure, reliable and free add-on for Firefox, produced by the Interclue team. If you're finding it useful, check out Interclue, our advanced webpage previewer.

:no9: Sorry, but there is still no MOD for vBulletin to perform a task like this. I'll keep looking though, cause it certainly seems like something most folks would like to have. Then again, Lazarus seems to solve the Lost Post problem all over the net, regardless of what website you're on.

8. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Hey Dave,
    Great news, after only waiting 5-1/2 years your wish has been granted. XenForo, will…
    Auto save drafts
    While you are typing a message, every X seconds (currently 60), a draft of your message will be saved. If you reload the page later, your message will be automatically re-shown. Drafts will be automatically pruned after 48hrs.
    Each draft is associated with a particular piece of content, such as a thread, forum, or conversations. A draft reply that you start working on in thread #1 will not be shown to thread #2 and so forth.
    Signed, Johnny-on-the-spot! :laugh:

9. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name: