1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Making the switch to a trike, seeking opinions...

Discussion in 'Recumbent Discussions' started by junkman, Nov 13, 2021.  |  Print Topic

1. junkman

junkman

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Middle
    Ride:
    converting roadie
    Short story is a dog knocked me off my bike and I've been on a walker & cane going on 6 weeks. I can't afford serious damage that won't heal and am trying to decide on which trike to buy because of the stability factor. The question is which one to buy and I'm noting that I haven't ridden any as of today.

Normal weekday rides are 20 - 40 mi with middle TN hills up to a 15* incline that I want to be able to climb. Weekend rides are 50 +. My current low gear is a 30 chain ring and 34 in back which gets me up anything local. I'd also like to keep up with the middle group of my peers. I'm currently there or slightly in front depending.

I'm looking at Catrike 700 or 559 because they are in stock and on paper will do what I want. I don't know whether the folding option will be something important or not. Most of the time I transport in the truck but perhaps not and I can add a bumper hitch and rack to the cars I have.

Your thoughts?

2. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    I think most trikes with a triple crank will meet your gearing needs. I have owned a couple of TerraTrikes, a few Cattrikes and a couple ICE trikes. Full disclosure - I purchased all of them used, and the Cattrikes were a bit older "space frame" models. The trike I own currently, an ICE Adventure HD, is my favorite of everything I have owned, and I plan to ride it for a long, long time. It folds, but I rarely do so because I have a mini-van and just roll the whole thing into the back easy-peasy.

One thing to consider when picking a trike is how you view comfort vs performance. Trikes like the Adventure, Villager and Rambler have higher, more upright seating. Also, some of the Cattrikes still have a non-adjustable seat angle. Is that important to you? Adjustable seat angle is a big deal for me, I'm a bit picky. And finally, I really like that my ICE has drum brakes. I have found them to be much more trouble free than the disc brakes found on other trikes.

There is also a choice in whether you prefer 20" or 26" rear wheel. The 20" gives you a slightly lower gear range (or slightly bigger chainrings) overall. The 26" or 700C gives you a much more conventional drivetrain setup. I have only had 20" rear wheel trikes. I have ridden behind trikes with 26" wheels and it seems the wheel has a bit of side to side wobble when in motion, but it didn't seem to slow the rider down any.

There are more and less expensive trikes than the ones I mentioned. I believe all three companies I mentioned make quality trikes and wouldn't hesitate to buy any of them if the price and design met my needs. But I have a personal love for ICE products.

Forgot to mention I also have a Greenspeed Anura. It's a fun delta trike, but I highly favor my ICE over the Anura. The Anura is a bit slow, and has a high center of gravity and narrow wheel track. This makes is a bit more prone to tipping in quick corners. But it's easy and fun to get on and ride. I use this one most often on bike paths/rail trails. No folding, so truck, minivan or bike rack required.

TNplates and A.D. like this.
  3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Well said mobilemail :thumbsup:.

I have an ICE-Q Trike and was surprised when I first rode it, that there is virtually no brake-steer with them. That is whenever you apply just one brake (on a Tadpole trike) and it will swerve towards that side. :surprised:

4. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    I have had a Catrike 700 for a few years now. While my Bacchetta is my go-to bike, the Catrike gets more workouts simply cuz I like the no-balance concerns as my own balance has become worse. It is one of the fastest trikes out there. My only negative is the very low sitting position; it takes some practice (and sometimes a nearby pole, tree, or handrail) to get out. If that's a concern then a set of handles made specifically to push on when rising will solve that one. I have never regretting buying the 700.

A.D. likes this.
  5. junkman

junkman

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Middle
    Ride:
    converting roadie
    I've been practicing squatting because it will be more important to be able to get up off the pot than have big guns. I've concluded that inventing chairs was a mistake and note that a squat is a resting position in many countries.

That said, it seems like none of the current options will be a bad choice. I'll go to the local shop and ride some. I doubt that he'll let me go long and I may simply have to pick something. The local roads are generally pretty good and we have many rural miles without many cars. I can see dogs being a different problem. The bite at heels and calves when on an up right but are closer to your face on a trike.

6. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481
    Not sure what speed your group rides but there are some things you need to understand about a trike. Let me preface this by saying I have around 20,000 miles on trikes over the las 12 years on 5 different tadpoles and 1 delta.

They are heavier. No getting around it. This means trying to keep up with your friends will take more work for you on every climb.

Less aerodynamic. Even as laid back as the 700 you will have more drag than most road bikes having more frontal surface.

More friction. 3 wheels on the ground, and greater rolling resistance with the 20" wheels on the front.

So, how does this translate to riding with your friends. You will have to carry more watts pretty much all the time to stay with them. On the downhills you will be pedaling hard trying to catch up after falling behing on the climbs. On the flats you will work a bit harder because of the friction and wind resistance.
    If they draft they will have an even greater advantage.

I started riding trikes to get a good workout riding my much slower cycling friends. And it worked well. Maintaining 14 or 15 mph on a 40 LBS trike with most rides averaging 50 feet of climbing a mile made riding my 2 wheeled bent fly.

I love trikes, just know its different.

RL7836, Martian and A.D. like this.
  7. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    There have been several threads about dogs in general, but take a look at the Dog Tools thread. :thumbsup:

8. junkman

junkman

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Middle
    Ride:
    converting roadie
    I'll go today and try riding some a few. I know riding has to change so whatever the options are are the options. The quicker I pick something, the quicker I can choose something else if I don't like it. The main thing seems to be trike riding is different but good.

A.D. and WardJ like this.
  9. WardJ

WardJ

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    GA
    City:
    Columbus
    Ride:
    Windcheetah SS #481
    Good luck! I'm thinking my next trike will be the TerraTrike Spyder ATC...
    But I might have to hit my 401k to do it.

10. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    The Apex of Three-Wheeled Performance.
    Coming Soon

SpyderSpyderATCforBlog-1024x637.jpg
    TerraTrike - Spyder and Spyder ATC trikes

If the fun part of riding is going really fast, TerraTrike has just released its funnest trikes yet – the Spyder and Spyder ATC.
    The top-of-the-line Spyder ATC is a product of TerraTrike’s “Advanced Trike Concepts” division, and it’s a no-holds-barred speed machine.
    Lightweight, wind-cheating carbon fiber rims offer a 30% efficiency advantage over conventional aluminum rim profiles. An oversized idler with a custom tooth profile and sealed cartridge bearings comes standard in the ATC, improving chain engagement and release to provide a more efficient drivetrain. The contoured carbon fiber seat is lightweight and directly mounted to the frame, adding front-end rigidity and sharp, precise handling. Even the boom is carbon fiber.

11. junkman

junkman

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Middle
    Ride:
    converting roadie
    You have to take some out if you're 72 1/2 anyway. May as well buy something to keep you healthy.

I had a client who owned a funeral home. The strange thing was that someone dying wasn't a bad thing in her world. It just meant new business.

My job was to have her run out of money at exactly the same time she set her bucket down. She didn't want to give me an end date.
    Now I understand why.

12. mobilemail

mobilemail

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    IL
    City:
    Carrollton
    Ride:
    ICE Trike + others
    Name:
    Mark
    Report back on what you pick. And more importantly, how you made your decision. Your insights will surely help the one member who doesn't already have 73 recumbents in the garage....

13. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    Unless you are willing to shell out big bucks (or even despite that), trikes are not about speed. Like any HPV, they have limits and are only as fast/powerful as the engine driving it. Few trikers can keep up with bikers for the reasons outlined before, and more. Trikes are all about confidence, cool-factor, and fun. If you havta race or go uber fast, get a motorcycle (or electrify a trike).

14. junkman

junkman

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Middle
    Ride:
    converting roadie
    *Mtw, it isn't about going supper fast. More about not wrecking, breaking bones destroying my man made spare parts. I'd like to be able to keep up with some of the people I've ridden the last 20 years with. I rode 6 days/week this season except for rain outs. I'm wrapping my mind around being near the back of the pack or even instigating others to switch or tracking down those who are already on trikes in this area.

The last 20 years were basically accident free then 1 dog bite, 1 dog knock down and another fall that was my fault - sharp downhill followed by steep up hill on unfamiliar roads and I didn't get in a low enough gear. These 3 things happened within a month and I've been saying that "I'll change what I'm doing after the next severe thing."

Am I correct that except for getting hit by a car which I have no control over (if riding roads), bone breaking or severe road rash is much less likely on a trike?

15. Mtwnrocket

Mtwnrocket Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Morristown
    Ride:
    Corsa;Rocket;C700
    Name:
    Dave
    Cycling is by definition a risky activity. There are just as many ways to get hurt on a trike as on a 2-wheeler. That said, I don't think triking is any more risky than other forms of cycling. Since the rider sits "in" more than "on" a trike, it may be even safer due to the semi-cockpit form. True, a trike may be harder to see due in part to its lower profile. That's why I always fly a tall flag and have at least one super-bright red flashing tail-light. Ditto the tail-light when on 2-wheels but no flag. Dayglo clothing helps. I prefer "road crew construction" green. All I know is that I have nearly 40,000 miles (zero after-dark miles) on 3 recumbents in 15 years and have never been seriously hurt (a bit of road rash a time or two and a cut knee from falling over into rip-rap at zero forward Velocity).