1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sore Butt-Hole ?

Discussion in 'Health and Safety' started by PeteCress, Sep 20, 2021.  |  Print Topic

1. PeteCress

PeteCress

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    PA
    City:
    Paolt
    Ride:
    (none yet)
    Ok, probably not the butt-hole per-se (the message board software will not let me say "a_n_u_s - go figure...), but close: probably the plumbing behind the perinium - prostate, bladder neck, urethra, and so-forth.

Similar, I think, to the symptoms of a too-soft bicycle saddle where the sit bones are sinking into the padding and some of the load is bearing on the perinium.

I have a workaround in the form of a plywood add-on to the seat pan and a u-shaped piece of fairly dense foam, but it's still only about 75-80%.

If I could angle the seat forward 10-15° more, it would be 95% - but the ICE seat clamp does not hold under hard pedaling at that angle.

If I lean forward that amount, the problem seems to go away pretty much completely - but then I'm pedaling like a speed skater and it is not sustainable without back support.

The basic task seems to be transferring most of one's weight to the sit-bones/ischial tuberosities.

Somebody else has to have been here.

What is your solution?

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    :mmm: While I have ridden many Recumbent Bikes and Trikes over the years, I can say I've never heard this before. :question: I don't doubt you are experiencing discomfort, I just haven't heard of such until now. My only guess might be, to tighten the seat straps some if you are on a web-type seat. That might allow for a bit more support of one's sit-bones. :idunno:

:update:
    I have seen parents place pillows behind children's backs on recumbents, when they can't quite reach the pedals. So one option might be to try that, with the cooler weather coming up now.