1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bicycle Gears, Gear Inches, Etc...

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by A.D., Mar 20, 2010.  |  Print Topic

1. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Just wanted to put up a thread about gearing, gear inches, etc for general information and/or discussion since so many folks may not be very familiar with it...such as myself!? :laugh9:

I perused the web a bit and turned up several good articles on gearing, so figured I'd re-post the information here since there's no need to try and reinvent the wheel ourselves...so to say. :wink9:

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD

Bicycle Gearing Systems

On a bicycle, there are two sets of sprockets, the front sprocket to which the cranks are attached and the rear sprocket mounted on the hub. These are often referred to as the driving sprocket (i.e. Front chain-ring) and driven sprocket (i.e. Read cogs, or cassette), respectively, because one drives the other.

[​IMG]

Usually there are multiple front (Chain-rings) and rear (Cogs or) sprockets shifted by derailleurs to obtain different gear ratios. Some bikes or trikes may use an internal gear hub where most or all of the different gears are located inside the rear hub.

Gear Ratios and Gear Inches

The overall gear ratio of a bike, trike, or other type of human-powered vehicle (HPV) is determined by the size of the sprockets (gears) and the wheel diameter. The effective gear ratio of a particular sprocket combination on a bicycle is easily calculated using the following formula:

[(# teeth on driving sprocket)/(# teeth on driven sprocket)] X wheel diameter

If the wheel diameter is measured in inches, this formula produces a result in units of gear inches. Gear inches are often used to compare the gearing of different HPV's.

If a bike has an internal gear hub, then the formula above is slightly modified:

[(# teeth on driving sprocket)/(# teeth on driven sprocket)] X hub gear ratio X wheel diameter

where the hub gear ratio is the gear ratio of the internal hub. This can be determined by watching how many times the wheel revolves for each revolution of the driven sprocket on the hub.

Mid-drives or idlers
    Some trikes often have one or more additional sets of sprockets between the front and rear sprockets. These mid-drive or idler sprockets can result in a set of higher and/or lower gear ratios than is possible using just a single front and rear sprocket.

[​IMG]

The formula under these circumstances is similar--just break the system down into a series of chain drives and multiply the gear ratios together:

[(# teeth on driving sprocket on chain 1)/(# teeth on driven sprocket on chain 1)]

multiplied by

[(# teeth on driving sprocket on chain 2)/(# teeth on driven sprocket on chain 2)]

multiplied by

wheel diameter

[​IMG]

Again, when the wheel diameter is inches, the resulting number will have units of gear inches. This makes it possible to compare the gearing between bikes and trikes regardless of whether or not they have idler sprockets.

Gear Inches, Cadence, and Speed
    Vehicle speed can be calculated from the cadence and gear inches of the gear combination used:
    Speed = cadence (in rpm) X gear inches X pi / constant​
    where:
    pi = 3.142
    constant = 1056 (for results in mph) or 644 (for results in Km/hr)​
    The Importance of Low Gears
    If you've used our weight capacity calculator, you've probably noticed that a person can move the most weight when riding at slow speeds. Slow speeds are obtained with low gears. So, to carry heavy loads, it's important that a cargo bike or trike have sufficiently low gears.

How low? For loads of about 300 lb, we'd recommend a gear no higher than that found on a typical mountain bike (about 20 gear inches). For larger loads, the lowest gear should be even smaller.

However, very low gear ratios are of questionable value. For instance, a bike having an overall gear ratio of 11 gear inches pedaled at 90 rpm would be moving at less than 3 mph--less than walking speed. The need for a gear much lower than this probably isn't necessary.

source bikesatwork

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
  4. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
  5. Buddy Bishop

Buddy Bishop Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Greeneville
    Ride:
    Elect. Goldrush
    Name:
    Buddy
    The Crank Forward Electra that is going on the Cherokee Forrest
    logging trail has gear inches 16.8-52. That is with a single 22 tooth
    chain ring and 11-34 gears. It has 26" wheels.

6. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I suppose you're referring to your post in the My Most Recent Ride II thread? If so, that's certainly one very scenic place to be on a bicycle! :cool9:

7. Buddy Bishop

Buddy Bishop Supporter

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Greeneville
    Ride:
    Elect. Goldrush
    Name:
    Buddy
    That's it. That is bear country and I will carry a 45 and a 9mm with over
    80 rounds total. Yes, I have a carry permit that is recognized by TN and NC.
    Wouldn't carry a gun, but a ranger is too cumbersome.

8. Freddy

Freddy

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    Israel
    City:
    Avtalyon
    Ride:
    Performer
    Name:
    Freddy
    Hi,

I am partial to Sheldon Brown's gear calculator since it includes the effect of crank length if you choose what he calls "gear ratios". This way you can see that a longer crank say a 175mm gives a lower gear ratio for a given set of gears than a 152mm. Or in layman's terms it is easier to push a given gear with a longer crank. Of course this excludes any leg range of motion problems that a rider might have due to longer cranks.

Also check out the analytical cycling site
    http://www.analyticcycling.com/GearSelectionTouring_Page.html
    for choosing gears for a long climb. If you define a set of gears in their calculators and vary the crank length you can see that effective force required on the pedals goes up for shorter cranks.

I was aware of the crank length vs gearing issues before I tried shorter cranks. I dropped to 152mm's vs the 175mm's I had had on my 'bent. To make a long story short I can't fight the physics as they were effecting my knees !! Despite high pedaling cadence (> 90 rpm), the short cranks cause too much pressure on them and I went back to the 175mms about a month ago. Since then my speed has increased, I feel better climbing and I can still maintain a 90+ rpm cadence.

I realize this might be some what blasphemous to say in a 'bent forum but that is the way it is, I don't like short cranks....:no9:

9. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    Many in our group find they like shorter cranks versus the standard road bicycle cranks. I use 170 cranks and they work fine for me. But I also have a mountain bike chain ring!

10. AlanKnott

AlanKnott Email Defunct

Region:
    North
    State/Country:
    England (UK)
    Ride:
    BMX
    Name:
    Alan
    * A.D.

Wow, nice information. Was looking for it, glad I found this thread.

PS. I'm unable to quote your post (and then submit it), coz it contain links and images, and I'm not allowed to post links and images.

11. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    In order to keep drive-by spammers off the board, we don't allow new members to post embedded links, etc until they've made several non-spam related posts. After a few more posts, you'll be good to go w/full access to all the boards features. :jiggy9:

12. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    And you will notice we don't get much spam and you won't get junk mail because you belong to our site. AD is very rigorous about keeping us clean and friendly.

Thanks again AD!!!!!!

13. Osco

Osco

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    FL
    Ride:
    Tour Easy LE
    Name:
    Osco
  14. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    That's a nice one, since the most popular cassettes are listed in a drop-down you can choose from w/o having to enter the number of teeth on each cog. :cool9:

15. maxairedale

maxairedale

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    KY
    City:
    Columbia
    Ride:
    ICE Adventure HD FS
    Name:
    Gary
    I'm a little confused, no make that a lot confused

Hi all,

I'm a little confused, no make that a lot confused. The computer in the above link provided by Osco uses crank arm lengths in it calculations.

I don't understand what the crank arm length has to do with the calculations of gear ratios, gear inches, speed, etc.

Here is my thoughts on the topic:

No matter how long the crank arms are, the bottom axle rotates just one revolution per revolution of the cranks. Yes longer cranks travel in a larger circle (circumference = diameter times Pi), 170 mm cranks have a 1068 mm circumference where 165 mm crank will have a 1037 mm circumference. While there is a 31 mm difference in the circumference of the crank arms the circumference of the Bottom Bracket axle has not changed. At a crank RPM of 85 the 170 cranks, 165 cranks, the bottom bracket, and the chain rings all turn at the same speed. 85 RPM.

It is the ratios between the chain rings and the cogs on the cluster along with the wheel size that determines how far the bike will move for each revolution of the crank.

Since one turn of the crank be it 170 or 160 or any length still results in only one turn of the chain rings, the crank arm length does not have a direct influence on distance traveled per revolution.

The RPM of the cranks along with the distance the bike moves per revolution of the cranks determines the speed of the bike.

I've looked a Sheldon Browns web page on the topic and he does not explain his theory as to how the crank arm length creates a ratio with the wheel size or how it has an influence on the gear ratio etc.

Dividing the radius of the bikes wheels by the length of the crank arms on a bike is like saying, that dividing the radius of the tires on my motor vehicles by the radius of the flywheels of the respective engines, and since my trucks engine has a bigger flywheel then my cars engine and with all other things being equal including the same wheel/tire size, the truck will travel farther and faster then the car at a given engine speed.

Again that is not True, the rotation of the flywheel, no matter what the diameter or radius, is still just one revolution per revolution of the crankshaft. It is the transmission and the differential (chain rings and cluster) along with the wheel size that determines distance traveled per revolution be it a bicycle, trike or automobile. Again the RPM of the engine (cranks) along with the distance traveled per engine revolution sets the speed of the vehicle.

Longer crank arms should be easier to turn then shorter ones because with longer crank arms you gain a mechanical advantage, thus reducing the effort to pedal.

If I'm total off base on this and if someone can explain it in PLAIN English so I and the others that are confused can understand it, please do.

Regards,

Gary