1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trail Ethics

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Roaster 2, Aug 19, 2021.  |  Print Topic

1. Roaster 2

Roaster 2

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    NY
    City:
    poughkeepsie
    Ride:
    Catreck expordition
    Just wondering has others found that it seems that the there is less and less from riders. Here on the rail trails in Hudson Valley it is really getting bad. Riders just don't let others know that one is on the left. As i was told BS I spent my money and I am going to do what I want. We have had some accidents due to this problem and the people that are responsible for management of trails just don't seem to care to address issue. We also have speed limits, walkway, and again others just don't care.:smack: I must say that there are riders that really have ethics.

2. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    Yeah, ethics (of any kind) seems to be dissolving away quickly in today's society. :idunno: I know here in Tennessee, our trail system isn't real wide anyway and add to that hills/curves + electric assisted bikes/trikes and you've just got a brewing recipe for accidents. Top that, with the frustrations of dealing with COVID (i.e. being cooped up indoors for so long) and people's fuses certainly seem to be shorter and easier to ignite nowadays. :rant:

3. Tri-Seeker

Tri-Seeker

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    Czech Republic
    City:
    Prague
    Ride:
    Trike, mongo-ish
    D!ckheads are everywhere, regardless of focus of the group. Going around crying "Back in my days...!" will not help situation, will not help you, will not help anything or anybody.
    Don't spoil your day, simply get up earlier and enjoy your ride, while others are still in bed, or searching the fridge for some breakfast...

4. Roaster 2

Roaster 2

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    NY
    City:
    poughkeepsie
    Ride:
    Catreck expordition
    That's right get out and ride early in morning its a bodacious time ride :trainer:

5. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    What I really have to watch out for are the joggers, baby strollers and dog walkers that go down the middle of the path with ear buds on and they simply can't hear you. Bad form.

I wear a Bose Sound Wear which fits over your shoulders under my bike jersey. The sound is projected up into my ears yet I can hear what is going on around me. Unfortunately, they don't make them any more. :(

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/products/bose_wearables_support/soundwear-companion.html

skankingbiker likes this.
  6. Tri-Seeker

Tri-Seeker

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    Czech Republic
    City:
    Prague
    Ride:
    Trike, mongo-ish
    Ear buds are not the root of the issue. You don't have to hear your surroundings to be carefull. It helps, granted, but isn't necessary. From my experience, regular walkers are toe to toe the worst with babay strollers, perfectly able to block any trail completely regardless of its width. walking in the middle, spreading as much as possible... I have no problem to pass around with anybody, as long as he/she cooperates. Is it too narrow for both of us? I will follow slowly with patience or stop on a side and give a way so you can pass me in other direction, but people needlessly blocking road just because they don't give a duck just turn me green...:banghead::anger:

7. junkman

junkman

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Middle
    Ride:
    converting roadie
    We don't allow ear buds of club bike rides and I wouldn't ride with anyone on a trike that insisted on wearing them. Those people fit in the class of those we call "squirrelly" and we stay away. Can't control what people do privately on the road or trail but you can keep away.

I have a long time friend who owns a bike and would benefit from riding. I told him that he'd only be welcomed without the buds. He huffed and hasn't come along. Friend or not, that's his problem.

8. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD
    I often ride with just one ear bud, and even then the volume is so low when I'm breathing hard I can no longer hear it. Out in the sticks here, I won't see but one or two vehicles per hour...but I still want to hear them coming and know beforehand whenever they are approaching me. :nailbiter:

9. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    I don't ride with music only because it makes me sleepy. :zzz:I almost run off a trail once and that was the end to that.:jiggy9:

Flatfoot likes this.
  10. skankingbiker

skankingbiker

Region:
    South
    State/Country:
    WI
    City:
    Madison
    Ride:
    performer fwd zelus
    I think there is a general degradation of common courtesy. However, this has been compounded by a lot of new trail users/bikeriders in the wake of COVID who just do not know what proper etiquette is. I just try and lead by example and loudly but politely announce myself.

11. junkman

junkman

Region:
    Middle
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Middle
    Ride:
    converting roadie
    People riding together have to be courteous or they'll cause a wreck.

One guy riding in the pace line wouldn't get with the program after the rules were explained. He got dropped but at least didn't take anyone down.

A.D. likes this.