1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have you seen this banana bike rolling through London, Canada?

Discussion in 'International Riders (Outside the U.S.)' started by NewsBot, Jul 13, 2021.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    banana-bike.jpg
    Have you seen this banana bike rolling through London? CBC.ca

London, Canada - After nearly two years piecing together a bright yellow Velomobile — an enclosed human-powered vehicle — Jon Deeks of London, Ont., took it out for an inaugural spin down the Thames Valley Parkway (TVP) and through Wortley Village this past weekend..

"It's a nine-foot long, bright yellow banana bike," said Deeks. "So, my feet are forward and I'm sitting in a very large chair. It's a very relaxing way to ride."

"I made the foolhardy decision to ride down the TVP and obviously it got a lot of attention," he said.

A couple of years ago, Deeks bought the yellow fibreglass shell on Kijiji. It was produced by a now-defunct business called Blue Velo in Collingwood, with the licensing rights from Quest, a company in the Netherlands.

Deeks has been working on it since then, purchasing special parts from Europe and locally to finish it off.

The recumbent bike is about as wide as a mountain bike and as long as a tandem bike.

"I saw lots of phones being pointed in my direction," said Deeks, who also rode through Wortley Village on Saturday.

Riding uphill ...

Continue reading...