1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I rode the world's first human-powered monorail – here's what it was like

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by NewsBot, Feb 27, 2021.  |  Print Topic

1. NewsBot

NewsBot Fetching Recumbent News

Name:
    I am a Robot
    [​IMG]
    I rode the world's first human-powered monorail – here's what it was like Telegraph.co.uk

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Who would pass up on the opportunity to give an old university mate a hiding (in the spirit of friendly competition) pedalling enclosed, in an aerodynamic Perspex bubble, suspended from a monorail? Thinking about it, that’s probably what crossed Eli’s mind when I suggested to him that we meet at Rotorua’s Velocity Valley for a duel on the Shweeb Racer.

Emerging stiff-legged after a two-and-a-half hour drive on the road south from Auckland, I found my confidence reduced. Eli is a “Rotovegas” local and arrived looking altogether too fresh and lively and with a mountain bike in the back of his pickup. My confidence dwindled some more.

Still, at least I didn’t have to balance on anything: the Shweeb is based on a recumbent cycle design – one of those reclined slightly bonkers-looking bicycle contraptions – and, since it dangles from its rail, you can’t fall off. I asked attendants Harley and Lela if anyone had ever been sick inside one. They said that they hadn’t.

As I was being fitted into my pod – the seats slide forward for short-legged Shweebers – I asked Lela if there was some way she could make sure I would win. She pointed to a button on the overhead handlebars and said, “Press that for pedal assist.” I looked across to check Eli hadn’t heard. Harley and Lela closed and fastened the side doors and then, with a “three-two-one”, a controlled shove and a shout of “pedal, pedal, pedal!”, we were off...

Continue reading...

2. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    This looks so cool. Wish there was one close by to ride here in East Tennessee!

3. A.D.

A.D. #1 Custodian

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Athens
    Ride:
    Reynolds T-Bone
    Name:
    AD